CIVIL WAR PUNCH RECIPE
I came across this Civil War era recipe in an old book and I thought I would share it. This is nothing I would make, the combination is kind of odd. Who ever heard of cucumber in a punch recipe? Supposedly this was a favorite recipe of Jefferson Davis and was quite popular all over the South.
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups sugar, to taste
- 4 bottles claret
- 1 pint sherry
- 2/3 cup brandy
- 1/3 cup light rum
- 1/3 cup maraschino liqueur
- 2 large cucumbers
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
- 1 bottle ginger ale
- 2 bottles sparkling water
- Slice cucumber thickly with peel still on. Cut lemons and orange into thin slices.
- Mix all ingredients except cucumber, lemons, orange, ginger ale and sparkling water at least 24 hours before serving. Not necessary to refrigerate.
- Place block of ice in punch bowl and add liquid. Add rest of the ingredients and pour mixture over block of ice to chill.
- Serve in punch cups, about 36 to 40 servings.