- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Cake pops are easy to make. Turn your cake failures into treasured treats.
What to do with ugly cake.
Have you ever gone through all of the effort of baking a cake from scratch only to have it fail? Perhaps if you are Martha Stewart or Rachael Rae this has never happened to you but as for the rest of us it is always a possibility. Whether your cake went flat or your cupcakes over flowed sometimes you end up with a bunch of great tasting cake that looks UGLY. Now if you are just serving your kiddos at home this isn’t a big deal as they could care less as long as they get to eat it but what if this is your contribution to local library bake sale and it’s 9PM. The sale is tomorrow at 10AM. What now? Cake pops! Not only are cake pops easy to make but the non-standard ingredients are not too expensive and can be stored for such baking emergencies.
Aside from cake and icing you only need the sticks to put them on, the chocolate or almond bark to melt and dip them in, sprinkles (because what’s a cake pop without decorations!) and some sort of rack to allow them to cool in. Since all of these ingredients will last for a long time you can keep them as staples in your pantry until your crisis occurs. After you read these step by step instructions I have a feeling these cute little treats may just make an appearance more often than when you have the occasional cake failure.
What do you think?
Cake Pops How To...
Just follow these simple steps to create amazing little desserts everyone will love.
- Cake, in any condition as long as it is yummy
- chocolate or almond bark
- candy sticks, they need to be the thicker kind to support the weight of the cake
- decorations, sprinkles, icing, etc.
- Cake pop stand, You can purchase a rack made for stick treats or you can wrap a block of styrofoam with plastic wrap
Great videos for you to watch to make this as simple as possible.
- How to Melt Chocolate Using a Water Bath - YouTube
Check out Bas Rutten's Liver Shot on MMA Surge: http://bit.ly/MMASurgeEp1 In this video, Mahalo Chef Eric Crowley shows you how to melt chocolate using a wat...
- How to Melt Chocolate in a Microwave - YouTube
Melting chocolate in the microwave is the quickest and cleanest way there is. Here's how to microwave chocolate with a simple guide.
- ♛ How To Make CAKE POPS!! Cake Pops Tutorial - YouTube
Get Recipe: http://divascancook.com/2012/04/how-to-make-cake-pops-easy-best.html Learn how to make cake pops that have the perfect texture, easy to make, and...
Turning your cake mistake into a tummy yummy
- Break your cake into small crumbs. You can do this with your hands or a food processor.
- Add a heaping spoon of icing and mix. You can also do this with your hands or you can put it in a bowl mixer.
- Continue to add icing a little at a time until you get a consistency similar to play-doh. Depending on the cake you started with you may only need that first spoonful.
- Once your mixture has the right consistency use a 1 table spoon scoop or similarly sized spoon or scoop and measure out equal portions into your hand and roll into a tight ball
- Repeat this until the crumb/icing mixture is gone.
- Melt a small amount chocolate/almond bark. This can be done in the microwave or in a glass cup/mug set in a pot of hot water. Setting a coffee mug into a pot with an inch or two of water will allow you to start melting while you are preparing the crumb and icing mixture and keep the melted chocolate/almond bark liquid while you are dipping.
- Dip the tip of the cake sticks into the melted chocolate/almond bark then stick into a cake ball. DO NOT push the stick all the way through. Stop with the end of the stick in the middle of the ball.
- Put your cake pops onto a tray and put them into your freezer.
- While your pops are in the freezer melt the rest of your chocolate/almond bark.
- Put sprinkles in a single layer on a plate.
- Bring your pops back out of the freezer and did one by on into the chocolate/almond bark all the way up to the stick. (This is the benefit of using the cup because you can dunk instead of roll the pop.)
- Allow excess to come off then dip into sprinkles laid out on plate. (You can also hold the pop over the plate and shake the sprinkles on) The warm chocolate allows the sprinkles to stick.
- Put pop into your cake pop decorating stand and allow them to set. You can put them in the freezer to speed up this process.
- After they have hardened you can serve or wrap with some plastic wrap and ribbon.