- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Street Food Recipe - Camote Cue
Camote Cue: Sweet Potato Snack
One of the foods that can be an alternative to rice in some areas here in the Philippines particularly in Mindanao Island is camote (kamote in Filipino language). It can be sometimes boiled, chopped and acts as French fries, and the most famous of them all is its camote cue.
This food is lined up with the turon (deep fried banana spring roll) in the streets and considered as next to it as the most favourite street food of the Filipinos. And because of that, I sometimes eat this in between my classes years ago. Well, you can’t really blame me since it’s so satisfying as well as delicious at the same time. And I sometimes cook it for my boardmates because of the fact that it’s so easily prepared and it has ingredients that can be seen everywhere especially in any markets nationwide. So if you are planning to cook and prepare this type of food, I want to share to you this recipe below:
You will need:
× 1 pound sweet potato/ camote (sliced crosswise)
× 1 cup sugar (preferably brown)
× 1 cup cooking oil
Here’s how to cook:
1. Pour enough cooking oil into the frying pan. Set the fire into medium fire.
2. When the oil is hot enough, pour some brown sugar.
3. When you see the formation of brown sugar that floats, add the sweet potatoes/ camote into the pan.
4. Let it be deep fried for about 8 to 10 minutes or so until the sweet potatoes became brown all over.
5. After that, remove the sweet potatoes from the pan and strain to remove excess oil.
6. Turn off the heat.
7. Place into a serving plate and let it be cooled for a few minutes.
It’s now ready to be served!
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- filipinofoods on HubPages
I'm a restaurant owner in Manila, Philippines. Cooking Filipino foods and other Asian dishes is my passion. I am proud of Filipino culture and have...