- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Can't Beat Beets for Heart Health
Purple Powerhouse: Nutritional Beets
I love beets in all their purple glory. I really like to eat them raw in salads or cooked into a delicious soup like Borscht. It helps my infatuation with beets knowing that they are packed with nutrients and all kinds of great benefits.
Good for Your Health: Beets
Here’s a few of the healthy benefits:
1. Heart Health is supported by lowering your cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Eating beets will improve blood pressure and blood flow.
2. Sex Hormones are increased due to the high levels of the mineral boron (can you say aphrodisiac)
3. Good during Pregnancy due to the high content of B-vitamins
4. Cancer Preventative supported by the extra beta cyanini found in beets
5. Lungs are supported with the high vitamin C and beta-carotene
6. Eyes will also benefit from the boost of vitamin A which can help slow developing cataracts
7. Muscle, Nerves and Immunity are aided by the great amounts of magnesium and potassium
8. Immune System booster as beets are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients
Love Your Heart Beet Salad
You will need:
1 medium red beet (peeled)
1 Fuji or Gala Apple (chopped)
1 organic carrot (thick works best)
¼ cup of cooked pinto or cannellini beans (rinsed and cooled)
3-4 Large Romaine Leaves
¼ tsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tbsp vinegar (balsamic works best)
1 ½ tsp pure maple syrup
¼ tsp Kosher salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp Chia Seeds
2 tbsp Nuts (Walnuts or Almonds work best)
Makes 1 Large Serving (or 2 side dish portions)
1. Prepare the carrots and beets by peeling. Cut the carrots into thin strips with a potato peeler or grate fairly coarsely. Then slice the beets as thin as you can into circles and then cut into strips. Put the beets, carrots, chopped apple into a large bowl.
2. Prepare the dressing by whisking together the minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Gently stir in beet mixture with dressing. Place the romaine lettuce on the plate and then place your beet mixture and beans on the lettuce and toss to coat evenly. 3. Top with Chia Seeds and other Nut.
3. Bon Appetite
Eating beets or taking a beet juice supplement may just kick up your energy and performance a notch!