Cantonese Steamed Fish Fillet Recipe
This is a very simple fish dish, steamed fish fillet. The fresh fish fillets are steamed are just cooked, topped with spring onions, ginger and sprinkled with hot sesame oil mixture. This famous fish preparation is an example of classic Cantonese cooking. The seasoning is very minimal. There is no heavy or hot spicy sauce at all. This is the healthiest fish dish one can make. It's low in fat.
The seasonings and sizzling toppings add a luscious flavor that intensifies the sweetness of the fish. It's very delicate. I think steaming is the best cooking method to bring out the goodness of the fish. It's flavorful and juicy.
The key point for making Cantonese steamed fish or fish fillet is always use live fish (if you are using whole fish) or at least fresh fish (fillets).
Please Rate This Recipe
- 2 lbs Flounder, fillet
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chicken broth
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 1/2 tbsp spring onions, finely shredded
- 2 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
How to Fix
- Prepare the marinade sauce: in a small bowl, combine rice wine, salt and half tablespoon of minced ginger.
- Wash and rinse the fillet lightly. Pat it dry. Put the fillet in the bowl and add the marinade sauce. Toss lightly to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the steamer. Fill a steamer with water for steaming. Heat the water until boiling.
- Place the fish fillets on a heatproof dish and place in a steamer tray.
- Combine chicken broth and soy sauce. Then pour over the fillet.
- Put the steamer tray of fish fillet over boiling water. Steam about 7 minutes or until the fish flakes when poked by knife.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Then add canola oil and sesame oil. Heat until smoking.
- Sprinkle the steamed fillet with spring onions, minced ginger, ground pepper and pour the hot smoking oil over the seasonings.
- Serve hot or warm immediately.
- Chinese Bitter Melon And Pork Soup Recipe
- Chinese Braised Sea Cucumber Recipe
- Chinese Stir-Fried Romaine Lettuce With Garlic Recipe. A Quick And Easy Chinese Auspicious Dish.
How to stir-fry lettuce. A vegetarian dish.
- Chinese Stir-Fried Bean Sprouts With Bean Sauce Recipe. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
How to stir-fry bean sprouts. A healthy dish.
- Sichuan Double Cooked Pork With Hoisin Sauce Recipe