Captain's Pineapple Tacos
Cruzan cuisines origins are from St. Croix USVI. This traditional dish was passed down generations from many cultures all over the world. This recipe known as Pineapple Cruzan Tacos, it's spices are from Mexico, Puerto Rico, and home grown U.S Virgin Islands, out of my garden; pineapples.
This is easy to make, fun and delicious. It is so satisfying you will say "Captain Dag rrrrrr"! (out loud)、smile.
Captain's Cruzan Tacos
One day, the captain ordered his cook to prepare the Cruzan tacos. Finally the tacos is served. The captain took one bite. "What the chronicles, he shouted"! This taco is not cooked says the captain. "Oh my bad I forgot to cook the taco shells says the cook with a frown on his face." So the cook went back to the kitchen to cook the shells. Then 10 minutes later the tacos is served. "What the chronicles is this says the captain"? This taco is sappy, what have you done asked the captain?" I fried the tacos says the cook. The captain looked at the cooked. Do you know how to cook Cruzan tacos? says the captain!" Yes answered the cook. So why you preparing me this kind of tacos, says the captain? I'm sorry captain, give me one more chance. I will have your tacos ready says the cook. Then 30 minutes pass and the cook is not out to serve the captain. The captain is so hungry and furious, she went to check to see what the cook was doing in the kitchen so long. "What the chronicles yelled the captain. She saw the cook roasting the tacos in a barn fire on her ship. Are you a Cruzan yelled out the captain, no says the the cook, the captain dash the cook over board along with the barn fire. "This cook trying to catch my ship on fire with his lying none cooking @&&. Only a Cruzan knows how to cook a Cruzan taco says the captain". So she sailed to St. Croix to get her a Cruzan cook and so she found a Cruzan cook to serve her delicious Cruzan tacos. The captain was very pleased she licked her fingers, rubbed her tummy, smiled and and kissed the cook's hands.
The moral of the story. Don't serve Cruzan Tacos if you don't know how.
Important Rules in the Kitchen
Stove top burners and oven pilots should always be in good conditions. This is a safety rule, before attempting to cook
Please make sure the stove is working properly. You can test your stove for proper working burners and pilots.
Simply turn on burner knobs one at a time.
Watch and hear for the second click, if it sparks up without a sound of air blowing through while burner is turned on, it ok.
If sparks on and off, while the pilot hole fire ignites and air blowing through it. Then you will need to clean the pilot holes or buy new stove top burners.(check your local hardware stores)
Safety Preparation when operating a stove and oven.
Utensils and instruction used in following safety rules and materials used to avoid fire hazards.
- Once the burner is on, make sure to keep your body at a safe distance from the stove. Do not lean forward touching the stove with your body.
- Prepare to wear clothing that will not catch on fire. Do not wear long sleeve shirts. It can easily catch on fire. If you do, make sure to roll up sleeves as far up as possible, nearly close to your elbow.
- Make sure you have a fire detector installed in your kitchen, this way you can know when there is a fire.
- Always have a fire distinguisher near by, in case there is a fire.
- Use mittens when handling a hot pot or pan and when draining hot water out of the pot.
- To be on the safe side, be sure to have a wet rag in sink, in case pot handle is very hot to handle with a mitten.
- Always have a kitchen towel near by for hot spills and handling pot if needed.
- Use large pot spoons to stir or large cooking utensils to handle food in pot.
- Keep a close eye on exact time preparation to when food is cooked, if over cooked, it can lead to burnt food and fire.
- Never put your hand in a hot pot to taste. Use a large utensil to taste.
What to buy in the grocery store to start your Cruzan Tacos?
- Taco shells
- Mexican seasoning
- Mexican sauce
- One pound of ground chicken or beef
- Canned Pineapple or freshly picked pineapples
- Shredded Cheese of your choice
- Adobo seasoning Puerto Rico
- Sazon seasoning Puerto Rico
- Pre heat your oven to 345 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place tacos slightly layer over each other. If you do not layer them over, the taco shells will pinch close, it will make it hard to stuff shells and may break the shells.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
Macoroni & Cheese
How to prepare and serve tacos less than an hour?
You must be prepared to work all four burners at the same time, so the meal can be done in its time frim.
Start your meat
- Start the ground chicken or beef. Till there is no more pink meat. It should look brown.
- Stir in the Mexican seasoning with a half cup of water in the ground chicken or beef. Then let simmer for 20 minutes.
Start your macaroni
- Start your macaroni, simple add 2 cups of water into a medium size pot and wait till the water is to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add t teaspoon of oil.
- Make sure the macaroni is soften, well cooked, drain water.
- Add cheese and let the Marconi cool before serving.
Start your corn in the cob
- Boil your corn in water and a tea spoon of salt.
- Wait till corn is fully cooked in about 20 minutes (frozen).
- Drain water and add butter
Start your Spanish rice
- 3 cups water to a boil.
- Add 2 cups of rice
- Add Mexican seasonings
- 1 tablespoons oil
- Stir and cover on low fire, cook for 20 minutes
Now there are four burners on the stove are bubbling hot for 20 minutes, let's start chopping, cutting, slicing and dicing your tomatoes, pineapple, lettuce, cabbage and cheese.
Ok, finally when everything is cooked and chopped, slice and dice, add your tacos in the oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Cut a small slice off the cabbage. Don't use a lot of cabbage, only 1 cup measures slice.
- Chop till the cabbage has very small pieces (grinder), the smaller the better.
- Use just two pinches in each tacos; by using your finger tips, index and thumb add cabbage over the ground meat on your meat. This will boost the flavors.
Take lettuce out of its plastic bag.
- Take off the first outer layer of your lettuce.
- Clean lettuces with water.
- Slice and dice
- Choose one large size tomato
- Clean tomato with water by simply running water over the tomato before sliceing, gently rub around the tomato with water.
- Slice and dice your tomatoes as small as possible.
Clean pineapple with water, hold the pineapple carefully, the head is sharp. ( use mittens if you may)
Place pineapple on a cutting board horizontal and the knife parallel to slice top off.
Cut off the top head of the pineapple sprout, place in its seprate container of water for later potting and growth.
Continue cutting pineapple horizontal and knife parallel to as many thin slices you can cut.
Lay pineappple slices flat on the cutting board, then gently cut off the skin layer off.
Cut seed pockets off around the sliced pineapple, cut small triangular pieces off with the seed pocket, it will have a flower shape when finished.
Add ready cut slices of pineapple in two cups water in a large bowl.
Add two tablespoon sugar in water, stir in with pineapples.
Add one teaspoon almond essence in the mix bowl of water, pineapple and sugar, stir and let soak in for 20 minutes.
Slice and dice to add with the tacos.
How to stuff and layer the ingredients in a taco to get the exact flavors in every bite?
First stuff the taco with the cooked ground meat. About 3/4 of meat in the tacos. Give enough room for the rest of the ingredients.
Second add three pinches of the shredded cabbage on the meat.
Third apply tomatoes slices and dices on top the meat and cabbage
Forth add the cut lettuce of small slices on top the tomato slices
Fifth add the cut pineapple of small chunks on top
Sixth add the shredded cheese, as much as you will like.
Then finally add the Mexican sauce. (Added secret ingedients to sauce; two table spoons of concentrated pineapple juice to give the flavor to the cruzan pineapple flavors in the sauce.
Pineapple Cruzan Tacos (original)
- Darken the taco shell, (not black or its burnt.) leave in oven for 10 minutes.
- Gather all ingredients from leftover or leave some for next day. (refridgerate)
- Stir fry pineapples, rice, tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce and dash adobo seasoning to create a delicious favor of the Mexican mix.
- Stuff leftover mix ingedients as mush as you can in tacos and more chredded cheese and that delicious taco sauce. "Wah Lah"!
Cruzan Cuisines are mixture of Caribbean flavor creatively combine with each other's spices and flavors of each island recipes. In history the Spanish captains will bring spices to trade off in the market for people to combine and create delicious meals for their family. Along with there traditional spices and flavors are all combine to make flavors and flavors and flavors, in the Cruzan Cuisines. As the Mexican traditional spices and the Puertorican spices, Caribbean spices and other spices from the ground of the Virgin Islands crops and farm lands. Traditionally the Virgin Islands has created and combine flavors of many culture to delicious meals.