- Food and Cooking»
- Food For Kids
Energy Rich Foods For Kids
For mothers their children is their most important treasures and before they decided to live on their own and be independent, mothers really put their love, time and effort in taking care of them. Since birth our mothers wants the best for us, having a good health and providing good nutrition that we need and so they think of recipes that could help us in growing us and be free from any sickness. In toddler and pre-school stage mothers are really watching over their children because this is the stage that they all love to play, explore things and they love to run. And after their long crazy activity, their energy is not as high and they look really tired and in order for you to give them a good nutrition, you have to increase their carbohydrate intake to restore their energy.
The important function of carbohydrates is to provide energy to our body especially to our brain and nervous system. You can create foods that are rich in carbohydrates that i'm sure your children will love to eat. I'm gong to share with you some recipes that are rich in carbohydrates and other nutrients that our body needs.
1. 2 in 1 Pasta Pizza: I love to bake and baking is like an easy thing to do if your ingredients are complete. You can create delicious foods in an instant with baking. One of the famous baked recipes are the pizza. The kids will definitely love to eat a pizza topped with pasta.You have to make a regular dough or you can buy it in a super market and add the pasta at the top of the dough. Add the cream sauce, bacon, green pepper and the cheese. Bake for 45 minutes. And after baking you can now serve it to your kids and oh you can make also the classic spaghetti. Nutrition is really important and because children, moms and dads love to eat pasta or pizza they can get more energy since it is a rich source for carbohydrates, vitamin A, High in Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9) which is a good nutrient for pregnant women because vitamin B-9 can help prevent birth defects and lastly it is a good source of potassium.
2. Tableya Flan or Chocolate Flan:I'm sure you are all wondering what is a Tableya, it is an unsweetened chocolate rounds made from cacao or cocoa beans and this products is very famous in our country since it's one of the major ingredients in making chocolate cakes and other delicacies that needs a chocolate.
- 6 eggs
- evaporated milk
- condensed milk
- tableya or dark chocolate
- In a sauce pan, heat evaporated milk and stir gradually then add tableya or dark chocolate until it melts then add water continue stirring until the evaporated milk and the dark chocolate combines and set aside.
- In a bowl, add 6 eggs, evaporated milk, condensed milk, and sugar then mix them all together then add the tableya or the dark chocolate and evaporated milk mixture.
- In an another pan, mix sugar and water until it becomes caramelized (this mixture is use so that you can easily remove the chocolate flat from it's container)
- Put the caramelized mixture at the base at a small aluminum container, then add all the mixture and steam for 30 minutes.
- then ready to serve and enjoy!
Tableya's Nutrition facts: Energy,kcal/100 g 635
Carbohydrates, % 30.51
Protein, % 11.47
Fat, % 51.94
Fiber, % 10.39
Sodium, ppm 277
The chocolate does not raise the LDL or the Low density lipoprotein which is the bad cholesterol thus it is good for our hearts since it contains palmitic, steatric and oleic acids. This means that when eating dark chocolates once in a while it can reduce the risk of cancer and heart problems so this is not just for children but for adults also.
3. Meat Loaf with oatmeal:
- Onions (white, chopped)
- 1 egg
- ground beef
- tomato sauce
- In a bowl, mix ground beef, oatmeal, chopped onions and egg
- add salt and pepper, tomato sauce and ketchup
- After the ingredients are mixed together, place the mixture in a rectangular shaped aluminum container
- bake for 30 minutes
- then serve
Ground beef is a good source of protein, niacin, vitamin B-12, selenium and zinc. But remember when cooking or baking ground pork do not make a dish out of it every day since it is high in cholesterol that also contains trans fat.
Oatmeal are famous to those who wanted to be fit and loves to exercise. Oatmeal offers a low saturated fat and a very low cholesterol level as well as sodium. It has no sugar and has a high source of dietary fiber which is good for people who has constipation. It is also a good source of Magnesium, Phosphorus and manganese.
So when meat loaf and oatmeal combines surely your children will have the nutrients that they need.
4. Super Crispy Friend Chicken:
- 1 egg
- rose marie leaf
- biscuits (crushed)
- potato chips
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and rose marie leaf (if you can't find any fore marie leaf you can use thyme as an alternative).
- crushed biscuits and potato chips this will serve as your special bread crumbs
- for breading, prepare 3 bowls and put the cornstarch, egg and bread crumbs separately.(remember that the other hand is used for dipping on dry ingredients while the other hand is used for the wet ingredients. Example, Right hand for cornstarch and bread crumbs and your left hand is for the egg)
- then deep fry it until golden brown
Chicken is one of the favorite foods of the children and this is a great source of protein and vitamin B especially B-3, it also increases the energy level and is low in carbohydrate and low in fat. I know that we all love eating chicken skin but it is high in saturated fats which is not good for our health so if you are going to make this recipe you have to remove the skin before eating.
5. Tuna Macaroni Salad:
- Green and Red bell peppers
- cooked pasta
- In a bowl, put the cooked pasta then add tuna, green and red bell peppers and mix them together.
- Add onions, salt, pepper and lastly add the mayonnaise
- after all the ingredients are mixed, your Tuna Macaroni Salad is now ready to serve
I always heard our neighbor trying really hard to let her child eat vegetables and since mother's out their has a difficulty in letting their child eat vegetables this recipe is a good distraction since the tuna will cover up the vegetables in the salad.
Tuna is a great source of the very famous Omega 3 essential fatty acids., it is also a good source of minerals like selenium, magnesium and potassium. As for Omega 3 benefits it helps our cardiovascular system to be stable, no irregular heart rhythms, can produce good cholesterol. It also improves our eye blocking the elements of having a blurred vision. Tuna also is a source of vitamin B-12 and is an important function since the enzyme involved in it can produce energy from fats and proteins.
6. Healthy Mung bean tart:also known as a green gram or golden gram or mongo. It is the seed of Vigna radiata. The mung bean is famous in asian countries and is used as a soup or in sweet dishes.
A moringa oleifera is also known as the miracle tree or the drumstick tree that is derived from it's appearance of a long,slender, triangular seed pods.
- Ground pork
- ketchup or tomato sauce
- boiled mung bean
- In a bowl, mix boiled mung bean, chopped onions, ground pork and moringa then add ketchup or tomato sauce and egg
- add also salt, pepper and cornstartch
- after you have mixed all the ingredients, mold the mixture like your making a burger patty then fry it until golden brown
Children sometimes don't like to eat vegetables because of it's taste and color but we have to explain to them the nutrients that these vegetables contain. The mung bean is a good source of protein, rich in vitamins, calcium and sodium. Since children loves to run and jump in place the calcium that the mung bean contains is good for them to help them have strong bones. The moringa is an amazing vegetable since it has many nutrients. It is rich in Vitamin A, that is good for our eyes, vitamin c, calcium (it is more rich than milk), protein, it is more rich than banana because it contains several times of potassium than the banana, it also contains three times more iron than the spinach so it's good to prevent anemia, it also helps balancing the cholesterol level as well as balancing blood sugar levels. A nutrition booster that helps us to feel healthier and active, it has also anti bacterial properties and is good for our skin. It can also be used as a water purifier and protects our liver and kidneys from any damages.
7. Melon Pandan Cooler:after the children do their playing or schoolwork we have to make them a refreshing drink so that their energy will be revived and of course we wanted them to be happy with this simple recipe.
- pandan leaves
- coconut juice
- Boil the pandan leaf to extract the syrup, after you have contain the syrup set aside and let it cool
- in a small bowl, mix water and sugar this will also serve as a syrup
- In a blender, add the coconut juice, pandan syrup, syrup (sugar and water), melon (grated) then blend for a minute and your refreshing drink is ready to serve
The coconut water is a refreshing drink that can really ease our thirst. It's also an alternative medicine for diarrhea because the juice is rich in simple sugar, electrolytes and minerals to help increase hydration levels, it is also rich in potassium and vitamin c. The pandan leaves can reduce fever, serves as an laxative for children and can solve several skin problems and can help ease ear pain
Melons are known to have an anti cancer agent. It helps prevent constipation, reduce the risk of kidney diseases since our children loves to eat junk foods especially when mothers are not looking at them. It is a good source of potassium, vitamin c and high in water content and low in calories.
Through this simple recipes i hope that i can help all the mothers out their in providing good nutrition to their children.