- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Cauliflower Soup - Easy Homemade Soup Recipe
Caulifower Soup - Easy to Make and Tastes Great
Let's be clear - this soup is not a looker. It's not one that you're going to serve up and have people say 'wow that looks pretty'. What it is, is easy to make and absolutely delicious.
It's great winter soup as it's thick in consistancy, it works just as well with both fresh and frozen cauliflower and at around 20 mins to make it's a quick and easy lunch or light supper.
Homemade Cauliflower Soup Ingredients and Method
Serves 4 - can easily be halved or doubled
1 large white onion - roughly chopped
2 medium potatoes - cubed into 1cm squares (ish)
1 large cauliflower or same amount of florets (fresh or frozen)
2 pints / 1 ltr vegetable stock - see here for a good tip on homemade stock
25g butter or tablespoon of oil
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or other grated hard cheese (optional)
50g grated strong chedder (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan melt the butter (or warm the oil) , add the chopped onion and cook gently for 2 - 3 mins until the onion becomes soft.
2. Add the diced potato and sitr to coat in the butter / onion mixture.
3. Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.
4. Add the cauliflower to the pan making sure that the cauliflower pieces are small enough to be covered by the stock - simmer for 8 mins or until both potato and cauliflower are cooked.
5. Remove from the heat and puree using either a handheld blender or a liquidiser.
6. Return to a low heat and season with salt and pepper.
7. The soup can be considered complete at this point but for a richer, thicker soup add the cheeses and stir until thoroughly melted and mixed.
8. Season to taste ~ add more cheese if you wish, it's all down to personal choice.
9. Serve with thick cut fresh bread.