- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Caviar is a luxury food that basically consists of processed, salted non fertilized egg masses of fish. It is termed as a luxury food as it costs between $8000-$16000 per kg, depending on the flavour, colour, size and consistency of the salt cured egg masses. One may wonder why spend a whooping 8 thousand dollars on these eggs, but once you savour a bite of caviar, you would not mind spending any amount to get another bite of it.
There are basically four varieties of caviar namely Servuga, Sterlet, Ossetra, and Beluga. Caviar has been a part of Middle Eastern and diet since prehistoric times.
Caviar is generally eaten as a garnish or a spread; however they can be used in a number of mouth watering recipes. Here is a simple yet scrumptious caviar recipe you are sure to love.
Caviar and eggs
Cooking time: 5-8 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
6 hard boiled eggs
6 tbsp of red or black caviar
1 tsp of mayonnaise
1 tsp of freshly ground pepper
1 tsp of chopped chives
1 tbsp chopped parsley
Method of preparation:
Cut the hard boiled eggs in halves and remove the yolk.Mash the yolks with chives, caviar, parsley, pepper and mayonnaise.Heap the thoroughly mixed mixture into the whites of the eggs.
This recipe serves 6 persons and can be served as an appetizer or an accompaniment with salad.
Benefits of consuming caviar:
- Caviar is rich in vitamin A and hence helps in bone development and vision. It also gives your skin a radiant look.
- Caviar is low in carbohydrates and trans-fats and helps in weight management
- Omega 3 fatty acids present in caviar help reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Caviar is also recommended for those undergoing chemotherapy sessions as it is rich in haemoglobin.
- Vitamin D present in caviar also aids in growth and bone formation.
- Caviar contains high levels of potassium and magnesium that helps the body in maintaining healthy blood pressure.
Though Caviar may be expensive it is a delicacy that has a number of profound health benefits.