Cheap Easy Stovetop Dinner Idea: Chicken Pot Pie with Noodles
Did You Like This Recipe?
Chicken Pot Pie Noodles in a Pan
This wasn't exactly a planned recipe, but it turned out to be surprisingly good. No, I didn't turn the lights off and grab things from my pantry, but I might as well have. Every ingredient in this dish I already had on hand, and even better, it took less than 30 minutes to cook.
This Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie recipe could be used for a cheap easy weekday dinner or even a group meal for friends and family. It was a hit with my toddler and that is saying a lot. She doesn't use a spoon very well but she was determined to eat the whole bowl, so she dropped the spoon and used her hands. It also makes good leftovers that can be quickly reheated and enjoyed a second time.
Just in case you don't have all the ingredients on hand, I have provided a list of substitutions that will work equally as well. This is a quickly thrown together dinner and you can substitute or change it up however you see fit.
Crock Pot Option
Perhaps you want to pre prep your meal or don't have any time to cook in the evening. This recipe will work in a crock pot. You will need to pre-boil your noodles so they turn out tender. Aside from that, just mix the ingredients in the crock pot and allow to cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
This might be a better option if you want to make a larger batch. I have a family of two adults and a toddler and we only ended up with one serving left over so a crock pot will give you the capacity to make a bigger batch for larger families or leftovers.
- 2 cups Shell Noodles, dry
- 1 15oz. can Mixed Vegetables
- 1 10oz. can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 12oz. can Canned Chicken
- 2 cups Water
- 4 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 cubes Chicken Bouillon
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the noodles. Allow to boil until noodles are tender.
- In a large skillet boil two cups of water and stir in bouillon cubes until dissolved.
- Add flour and butter to skillet and stir until there are no lumps.
- Allow the mixture to thicken while stirring occasionally. Once thickened, add cream of chicken soup concentrate and garlic powder. Stir sauce until blended well.
- Add chicken, mixed vegetables, and cooked and drained noodles and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
These price will not be the exact same for you. Depending on the brands you are using, what grocery retailer you shop at, and if you choose to use substations, the price will vary. Still ,expect cheap. None of the ingredients are exotic.
2 Cups Shell Noodles: $.25
Mixed Veggie Can: $.87
Cream of Chicken Soup: $.98
Canned Chicken: $2.74
Garlic Powder: $.05
Chicken Bouillon Cubes: $.16
Total Cost: $5.27 or $.87-$1.32 per serving
12 oz chicken breast, thawed and cooked separately
Cream of Chicken
1 cup water, 1 chicken bouillon cube, 2 tbsp flour, 1 1/2 tbsp butter, mixed and heated on stovetop
Sub water and cubes with 2 cups chicken broth
I am typically on top of my diet and stick to clean foods, but this month we had a little more month than money so I had to make due. However, there are a few things that can make this meal a little healthier but still just as delicious:
- Whole Wheat Pasta
- 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- Brown Rice Flour or Soy Flour
- Smart Balance Omega Plus Buttery Spread
Changing to one of the above options for flour will increase protein and decrease calories. Whole wheat pasta is the best and easiest alternative of the above listed in my opinion. It tastes no different and it has a lower glycemic index than white pasta. Whole wheat pasta is typically about the same price as white pasta, making it a doable healthy substitute.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- Funfetti Cake Batter Pancakes- These delectable little cakes have a dense and fluffy texture just like cake. They are irresistible and are great topped with whip cream and sprinkles.
- Yummy Low Calorie Cocktails- This is a list of recipes for low calorie cocktails. There is something for everyone, no matter what kind of diet you are following.
- Roasted Chickpeas- These crunchy little buggers are great for kids' or the husband's lunch, a snack to have pre-made for guests, or even a healthier alternative to chips or corn nuts. Make them savory, sweet, or spicy.