Cheesy Eggplant Parmigiana
A Delicious Italian Favourite
I have to say, one of my favourite foods ever, would be eggplant parmigiana. I mean, what is there not to love? Eggplant slices between layers of cheese and tomato sauce and then baked to perfection. Even if you aren't an eggplant fan, like many people, its bitter taste and "veggie-ness" can't be found in this dish. It isn't hiding behind all that cheese, rather, its complementing it by giving some texture and variety to it. I mean, if it weren't for the eggplant, then basically this dish is just a crust-less pizza. So eggplant haters, try this dish out, I'm sure you will enjoy it greatly, including the eggplant.
- 3 eggplants, sliced
- 200g Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 300ml tomato sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- breadcrumbs, seasoned
- salt, to taste
- Begin by taking your sliced eggplant and dipping them in the beaten eggs. Dredge the eggplant slices in the breadcrumbs and coat them evenly on both sides.
- Place the eggplant slices on to a baking sheet, and bake at 180C for 10 minutes, five minutes per side.
- Once they are relatively golden on each side, set them aside to cool. In a baking dish, cover the bottom with some of the tomato sauce, roughly 1/4 of the amount.
- Layer the sauce with some eggplant slices, so that it forms a single layer. After that, sprinkle some mozzarella and some parmesan. Repeat by pouring sauce over the cheese, until the top layer is just cheese, and all eggplant slices are used.
- Sprinkle extra parmesan cheese on top and drizzle a bit of olive oil. Bake for roughly 20-30 minutes at 180C , until the cheese is melted. Let it sit at most 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!