- Food and Cooking
Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread Recipe from Scratch
Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread
I remember finding a pile of my grandmothers old recipes in a zip lock bag inside one of her cupboards. As I looked through them, I couldn't believe some of the treasures I found. Some were cut out from old magazines and some were scribbled on torn paper. I took the bag home and scanned all the ones that weren't too faded. This is one was scribbled down and faded.
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Packet Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Cups Bread Flour
- Olive Oil For greasing the bowl and bread
- 1/3 Lbs White Cheddar
- 1/2 Cup Herbed Garlic butter
- In a large mixing bowl combine water, honey, and yeast together. Let mixture sit for 5-10 minutes. Very slowly, mix in the flour and the salt. Knead the dough for roughly 5 minutes. You know the dough is ready when it comes together without leaving anything on the bowl as you mix. The dough should not stick to your fingers when touched.
- Now it's time to grease your dough and your bowl. Cover with a towel and let the dough rise for about one hour, or until the dough has doubled. After your dough has risen, break it apart into two equal sections. Roll your two dough sections out into the shape of a baguette. My grandmother's recipe says to twist the bread, but I always have trouble with the twisting part. You can try to twist it or leave it in the shape of a baguette. Cover and let the dough rise another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Once te oven has preheated, drop the temp to 350 degrees. Uncover your dough and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Slice your white cheddar into thin slices and set aside. Melt your herbed garlic butter. After 20 minutes, remove the bread from the oven. Brush with the melted butter and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and cut slices 3/4 of the way through the bread. Brush with the butter and in between the cuts. Add the cheese to the cuts in the bread and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove when bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.