Real Chicago Hot Dogs Ingredients
A Chicago Dog
A Chicago hot dog is a real treat, and one of the most readily available foods at most public venues in the city. Now you will be able to make one at home, without having to worry about going all the way into downtown Chicago to get a good one.
The Chicago hot dog, or Chicago Dog for short, is a hardcore Illinois tradition right in line with Chicago Style Pizza. They're made a particular way, and are a smash hit. Chicago dogs come with their own taboos, too, and traditions. You never ask for ketchup, a point I cannot stress enough. This is just not done, it's not the way a Chicago dog should be had.
So how do you properly enjoy a Chicago hot dog? Look below for ingredients and instructions. Enjoy!
Ingredients in a Chicago Dog
- Poppy seed hot dog bun
- Beef hot dog, boiled
- Yellow Mustard
- Pickle relish
- Raw white onion, chopped
- tomato, sliced
- Kosher Dill pickle, spear cut
- sport peppers
- celery salt
Toast your bun lightly, and take a deep breath, because here comes the second best part about a Chicago Dog --putting it together!
- Lay your all-beef hot dog in the bun.
- Spread yellow mustard over it in a zig-zag pattern.
- Bathe the dog in relish, for authenticity use one of those bright neon green colored relishes.
- Sprinkle chopped onion over the relish.
- Now stick two tomato slices, or wedges if you prefer, on either side of the hot dog.
- Add two or three sport peppers.
- Lightly apply celery salt over the top.
- The finishing touch -- gently lay two spears of Kosher Dill pickles on the very top of all of this.
Without further ado, admire your work and chow down.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT add ketchup. A genuine Chicago Dog has NO ketchup on it, and if you were to order a Chicago style hot dog in Chicago, they'd turn you away for ordering ketchup. It's against the rules!