Chicken and Tortilla Soup Recipe
Vote for Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Recipe in Rebus:
salt skinned chicken lightly
saute in pan. Remove, and save the pan drippings
for this recipe, go ahead and food process those shallots. (food processing tends to draw out the water in shallots, which in this instance doesn't particularly matter)
add shallots to reserved pan juices. Simmer until translucent
add chili powder and mix well; simmer 2-3 minutes
add chicken stock, mix well, and continue to simmer. Meantime---
prep your add-ins: left to right, top to bottom--cilantro prep
Dice the avo small, and remove
smash some tortilla chips.
Now it's time to shred the well-rested chicken.
'Kay. Now head back to the stovetop, and add this to the soup. Let simmer another 5 minutes
remove from heat, and finish with lime
you'll need a cutting board to protect your countertop for these next few steps. Arrange soup kettle next to soup bowl with a handful of crumbled, tortilla chips in it.
leaving about an inch or so to top, then go on to---
and the cilantro. add a tasty quesadilla, and ole! South of the border. :)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
Ready in: 30 min
Yields: 32 oz or more, serves 4-6 admirably
- 2 lbs chicken, bone in is tastiest
- 2-3 cups tortilla chips, plain corn
- 6 cups NS chicken stock
- 1 cup shallots, minced
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 3-4 TBSP chili powder
- 2-4 TBSP olive oil, or vegetable oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- Bunch cilantro, cleaned and chopped
- 1 can black olives, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
How to Do It:
- Salt skinless bone-in or bone-out chicken lightly.
- Heat oil in kettle over medium-high heat. When sizzling, add chicken pieces, and cook about 2-3 minutes each side--contingent on cut. When cooked, transfer from pan to bowl, and let rest, reserving pan drippings.
- if you have a food processor, mince your shallots that way. otherwise, mince them by hand, and add to the reserved pan drippings. Cook until translucent.
- Add chili powder, and stir. Simmer another few minutes until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock, and mix well. Turn heat down to medium, and simmer for another 10 minutes or so, during which time you can prepare the add-ins for the soup.
- Remove the leafs from the cilantro with a fork, dragging it through the bunch like comb through snarled hair. Dice reasonably fine, and set aside.
- Dice the avocado into small cubes while its skin is still intact, then spoon the cubes out of the shell, and set aside.
- Crumble the queso fresco, and set aside.
- Smash the tortilla chips into bits, and place handfuls in a little pyramid in each soup bowl.
- Now that the chicken has rested, shred it by pulling it apart.
- Add this to the simmering soup, and cook another five minutes or so.
- Remove from heat, and finish with lime.
- Grab a large cutting board to protect your countertop, and place the soup kettle on that. Line up your soup bowls (with tortilla chips inside) next to them.
- Fill the bowls with soup, making sure to get enough chicken chunks. Leave at least an inch from the bowl's rim to allow room for the goodies.
- Add the cheese.
- The avocado.
- A dollop of sour cream.
- Add the olives slices.
- And finish with cilantro. Whip up a quick and easy quesadilla, if you like, to complement this tasty soup, or serve with salad.