- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Chicken Infused With Thyme and Rosemary Roasted on a Bed of Carrots and Potatoes With Garlic and Dill Recipe
Although this is a simple recipe, it is a delicious one. Consisting of a layer of potatoes spotted with butter and covered with dill and garlic, chicken with rosemary, thyme, additional garlic, and brushed butter are layered on top of them and the recipe is bedecked with carrots. In cooking, the juices from the chicken - preferably chicken breasts with skin on them, although in this case I only had skinless chicken breasts - drip onto the potatoes and enrich them, and the flavors infuse and go together into a wonderful combination. The chicken itself is refreshingly simple and direct in its flavor, and well seasoned with salt and pepper produces a delicious dish in of itself, but it really requires a green salad mixed with it to shine. I've included this as an integral part of the recipe, and while one could make it without this, it would lose much of its luster and shine. Given how easy and simple it is to add it, there's really no reason to not do so.
This recipe is adapted from Simply French by Patricia Wells, an inspired cookbook and her recipe made a good base for my own, although I made drastic changes.
- 2 lb chicken breasts, (preferably with
- 2 lb yukon gold potatoes, (cut in eighths)
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dill
- pepper, (to taste, apply liberally when chicken is cut and served)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, (for salad)
- 1 handful spinach leaves, (for salad)
- 1/2 cup olive oil, (for salad)
- 1 clove garlic, (for salad)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, (for salad)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, (for salad)
- dash sugar, (for salad)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, (for salad)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar, (for salad)
- Layer the potatoes on the bottom of a baking dish, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with the dill and 3 cloves garlic. Position some of the peeled and chopped carrot slices with the potatoes while leaving the remainder to apply later.
- Brush chicken with 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and sprinkle generously with thyme. Place over the potatoes. Position the remaining carrot slices in the dish. Add the remaining garlic and all of the rosemary.
- Place the baking dish into the oven at 425f. Bake for 20 minutes, then baste with juices. If there are insufficient juices, add 1/3 cup of chicken broth/stock to hydrate it. Repeat again at 40 minute mark, and at 60 minutes.
- To make the salad sauce, combine together the 1 clove of garlic, 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro, dash sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, and 1/2 cup olive oil, and mix together.
- After having basted it and now having cooked it for 1 hour in the oven, remove the baking dish from the oven. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes, then remove onto a serving platter with the potatoes and carrots positioned around the chicken. Toss the lettuce, spinach, and salad sauce together, and serve with it.