Chili Non Carne Recipe
Vote for Chili Non Carne
Your Nugget of Nutritional Info for this post:
Kidney Beans are the focus of this HUB's nutritional nugget. Packed with cholesterol lowering fiber that also helps regulate blood sugar, 1 cup of the beans provides almost 200% of your daily requirement for: molybdenum. This trace mineral helps rid the body of sulfites, a commonly used preservative added to processed "fresh" foods, such as delicatessen offerings and salad bars. A great source of manganese and protein, too, the beans pump you with iron and help you feel full!
All the Ingredients
Recipe in Rebus
- 2 lbs tomatoes, of choice
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 anaheim chiles
- 2 jalepenos
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 cup red wine, of choice & optional
- 4-5 (8 oz) cans NS tomato sauce
- 2 TBSP. sugar
- 3-4 TBSP. chili powder
- 2-4 TBSP. olive oil
- 1 bunch cilantro
- ½ cup cheddar
- 1 cube beef bouillon, optional, & sub beef stock concentrate if desired
- 4-5 shallots, (@ 1 cup)
- 1 bulb garlic
How to Do it:
- Since you're working with hot peppers, I advise you glove your hands for the first part of preparation. (else, the oils from the peppers can seep into pores and sting for hours!)
- Gather your peppers.
- Slice, seed, and flatten before placing on double-thick foil. Place under broiler until skins blacken. Let cool a bit before...
- ...slipping a sharp paring knife between skin and pepper, and delicately removing the peel. Chop peeled peepers into bite-sized strips, and set aside.
- Gather your shallots & garlic.
- TIP: if you lightly tap your garlic cloves with a meat mallet, it will "crack" the peel, and enable easy peeling.
- Mince shallots and garlic separately, and set aside.
- Gather your tomatoes. Slice and seed, chop and set aside.
- Heat olive oil to sizzling in kettle.
- Add shallots, and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic.
- Add wine.
- Add sugar.
- Add bouillon or concentrate. Simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes to cook off alcohol in wine.
- Add tomato sauces.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add peppers.
- Add beans.
- Add chili powder, and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Dish into bowls, and top with shredded Cheddar cheese, and cilantro. Crackers are a tasty addition, and so are corn cakes--a recipe I'll post soon!!