- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Seafood Recipes
Chili Rubbed Tilapia with Grilled Zucchini, Onion and Mushrooms and Heirloom Tomato Salad
I was at the grocery store and passed the fish case and there was tilapia looking so fresh, I had to buy it. When I got home I wanted something special but didn't take too long so I was inspired by a recipe by "Lifescript", which featured a dinner including tilapia. I changed the rest of the meal to include vegetables that we like and cooked the fish a little different and it came so good my granddaughters who were here that night even ate it and liked it.
Tilapia doesn't have a lot of flavor on it's own, in fact it has a reputation of being dull, so you have to give it flavor. You will find this chili rubbed fish is a little different but very delightful.
Both my husband and I have a little problem with cholesterol so I am trying to make less beef meals, although you will see a lot of them in my hubs, and cook more fish and chicken. Fish was once known as being brain food. I'm not sure how that started but we did all believe it.
If that's the case I should be a genius by now. You see, back in the late 60's when Weight Watcher's first became popular and showed up in our area, I joined it, needing to loos some weight. The diet was 100% different then compared to now. It was a very strict diet. It included a lot of fish. You had to eat 5 fish meals every week and they told us at the meetings the more fish you eat the more weight you will lose. Well, we went crazy with fish. After a year of that, you didn't want to eat fish anymore.
Now, after a long time, I am back into fish, in fact, any seafood. My husband and I love seafood. Hope you get a chance to try this dinner recipe, it's easy and quick and really very good. Enjoy!
Some Facts About Tilapia's Benefits
According to "Organic Facts" tilapia is a delicious, lean white fish that has a wide variety of associated health benefits, including it's ability to help reduce weight, boost overall metabolism, speed up repair and growth throughout the body, build strong bones, reduce the risk of various chronic diseases, lower triglyceride levels, prevent arthritis, protect against cognitive decline, reduce signs of aging, boost the health of your hair and strengthen your immune system.
Not to mention the omega 3 fatty acids which have been linked to a healthy heart.
Need I say more?
Photos of Chili Tilapia with Vegetables
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
According to "Organic Facts" , the health benefits of mushrooms include relief from high cholesterol, breast cancer, prostate cancer and diabetes. It also helps in weight loss and increases the strength of your immune system.
Mushrooms are also a good source of iron; over 90% of the nutritive iron value can be absorbed by the body, forming red blood cells and keeping people healthy in general.
Health Benefits of zucchini
Zucchini is a very low calorie vegetable containing no saturated fats or cholesterol. It's peel is a good source of dietary fiber which helps reduce constipation and helps protect colon cancer.
It is also a very good source of potassium, a heart-friendly electrolyte and helps reduce in blood pressure. In addition, they contain moderate levels of B-complex, vitamin C and other important vitamins.
Ingredients for Tilapia and Vegetable dinner
- 1 lb. tilapia
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To taste freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced with skin on
- 1 large onion, sliced thick
- 1 pack mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 lbs. Heirloom tomatoes, Cut in large pieces
- Combine chili powder, garlic powder and salt on a plate. Dredge fillets in the spice mixture to coat on both sides.
- Heat and grease your grill pan (or heat up your grill outside) and season the zucchini, mushrooms and onion slices with salt and pepper and sprinkle a little oil then grill turning to grill both sides. You may have to grill the vegetables one vegetable at a time unless your grill is large enough to hold all of them. I cooked mine in a grill pan so I had to do them one at a time.
- While cooking vegetables, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the fish and cook for 5 to 7 minutes depending on how thick the slices of fish are.
- While the fish and vegetables are cooking, toss your tomatoes with salt and pepper and chopped basil leaves and 3 tablespoons of olive oil; or oil of your choice.
- If you can't find Heirloom tomatoes, feel free top choose whatever tomatoes you like or handy in the store at that time.
- It's dinner time, enjoy!
Photos of Grilled Zucchini, Onions and Mushrooms
Onion and Tomato Benefits
Everyone knows that tomatoes are a very good source of vitamin C and is good for protecting from prostate cancer. There are other numerous benefits which helps keep the body healthy.
1 cup of onions contains:
27% biotin; 16% manganese; 16% copper; 16% vitamin B; 15% vitamin C; 12% fiber;
11% phosphorus; 18% vitamin B and 8% folate.
Cleaning the Mushrooms
When cleaning the mushrooms, don't rinse them with water. Mushrooms will absorb the water like a sponge and will be mushy when cooked.
Just wipe the dirt off of them with a damp paper towel or a clean cloth.