- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe with Home-made Sesame Dressing
Vote for Chinese Chicken Salad w Home-made Sesame Dressing
Your Nugget of Nutritional Info for this post:
Leafy Chicory "Radicchio" grabs center stage in this vitamin packed, fiber rich, mineral & nutrient loaded dish. Not a tiny cabbage, but a "chicory", it contains polysaccharides called:inulin, which regulate blood sugar levels naturally.
Radicchio keeps the digestive track healthy & in good working order, too, cleaning the blood, as it goes. Think of it as a natural, brillo pad..;)
It almost tastes like one, adding a bitter, peppery bite to any salad.
All the Ingredients:
Ingredients for Sesame dressing:
Recipe in Rebus
- 2-3 hearts romaine, TIP: iceberg can be substituted
- 1 head radicchio
- 2-4 chicken breasts, plan on: 1 breast per salad
- 2-4 TBSP. toasted sesame seed oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar - rice vinegar is better, but harder to find, check the Asian aisle, first
- 2-3 TBSP. honey
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Handful cilantro
- 1 cup veggie oil
- 1-2 TBSP. olive oil, to fry breasts
- 1 bunch chives, TIP: tops of green onions can be substituted
- 8 oz. can mandarin orange slices, drained
- 1 package Fresh Gourmet Ginger-Garlic Wonton Crisps, or equivalent
- 1-2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup macadamias or nuts of choice, pine nuts are a good alternative for those with nuts allergens, but check with your doctor first!
- 2 carrots
- ¼ cup coconut, shredded
How to Do It:
- Let's begin with the dressing: grab a mixing bowl and pour in veggie oil.
- Add soy sauce.
- Add vinegar.
- Add honey. (TIP: if honey is cold, a quick blast in the microwave will get that Lil Bear flowing again.)
- Add sesame oil incrementally. Start with 1 TBSP. and adjust to desired taste.
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Stir vigorously, and funnel blend into cruet--shaking as needed later.
- Chicken o'clock. Breasts can be marinated in a lil sesame oil overnight, or go right from the package to the pan. If you DO marinate, be sure to remove excess marinade before cooking, as the flashpoint to sesame oil is considerably higher than olive oil.
- Let rest at least 5 minutes, and pull apart by hand. Put in refrigerator to chill. Go ahead and blanch your broccoli, pat dry & place in refrigerator to chill, as well.
- On to the salad part of the program!
- Chop lettuce. I like to spin the head in quarter revolutions, and slice off most of the ribs, usually. Put into mixing bowl.
- Rip radicchio into bite-size pieces, add to bowl.
- Chop chives, and add, too.
- Grate carrots, and add to bowl.
- Sprinkle coconut shreds into mix, and toss well.
- Place mixture on plates. This is the base of the salad.
- Remove string from snap peas, chop into thirds, and add to base.
- Add broccoli florets.
- Add mandarin orange slices.
- Add chicken pieces.
- Top with macadamias or nuts of choice (pine nuts are a good substitute for those with nut allergies)
- Sprinkle crispy wontons.
- Drizzle dressing, and voila. There it is there then. :)