- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Chinese Curry Chicken Puff Recipe
This is Chinese version of curry puff, popular snack in Southeast Asia especially in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. Curry puff is deep fried snack filled with curried potato and sometime ground meat such as beef is added to the filling. It's popular street food.
Unlike Malaysian or Singapore deep fried curry puff, Chinese curry puff is baked puff with curried chicken filling. It's delicious, spicy and warm. It's usually available for purchase in Chinese bakery, dim sum restaurants, or you can make it at home.
The filling should be little bit dry with thick curry sauce to prevent the puff from getting soggy. This easy Chinese chicken curry puff recipe is open to any adjustment. You can add frozen peas, potatoes or add more curry powder and hot chilies if you love spicier snack.
What You Need
1/2 lbs ground chicken
3 tbsp canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cornstarch
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
12 pieces pie crust, 3-inch x 3-inch squares
How to Fix
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of water. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil over high heat. Add minced onion and garlic. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add curry powder and stir-fry just few seconds. Then add ground chicken. Continue to stir-fry for another minute.
- Add salt, sugar and cornstarch mixture. Stir until the gravy is thick. The chicken mixture should be little bit dry. Pour out excess of oil or liquids. Then transfer to a plate.
- In a work surface line up about 3 pie crust squares and fill center of pie crust with 1 teaspoon of filling mixture. Lift the upper edge of the pie crust and fold it to cover the filling. Shape it into triangle or rectangle as you desired. Brush the top of the puff with lightly beaten egg yolk. Repeat this procedure until the filling is used up.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Lay the curry chicken puff on the cookie sheets. Bake it for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish. Enjoy it warm or at room temperature.