Chocolate Fettuccine - A Dessert to Drool Over
The Finished Product
Chocolate Pasta? Really?
Technically, it's "Cocoa Pasta" but we all know that Chocolate is made from Cocoa, so close enough. And hey, cocoa comes from a plant, so could be considered a vegetable.
Easy enough for the novice to master, yet decadent enough to make you feel particularly lavish having it for a meal.
Pasta - Homemade or Pre-Made?
If you are lucky enough to live in a country like the USA, or Italy (yes, it exists in Italy! So, it's therefore "REAL" Pasta) - you may be able to access "Chocolate Pasta" in a pre-made dried form - Pappardelle's Dark Chocolate Linguine is one brand I've heard of.
Or you can make it from scratch yourself - even if you don't have a pasta rolling machine, you'll do great!.
Following is the recipe for Homemade Pasta, and the Decadent sauce
Have You Tried This?
How Much Time Do You Have?
Home Made Pasta Ingredients
- 125g Flour
- 50g Cocoa powder
- Pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Caster sugar
- 2 eggs, (large)
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Water
Now to Make That Pasta!
- Sift flour and cocoa powder into a bowl with salt and sugar. Mix together gently, making a well in the middle
- Mix the eggs with water, and oil. Pour into the well in the dry ingredients Mix with fingers gradually until you have a firm but soft dough - *warning - MESSY* - add an extra tbsp of water if necessary
- Turn dough out onto board and knead for 10mins until smooth, elastic and silky. Wrap in gladwrap/cling film and chill for 10mins
- Dust a board with flour, and roll dough into a rectangle shape If you have a pasta machine - roll this through 4-5 times, reducing the size until you have thin, smooth lengths. Then run through Fettuccine cutter attachment (if you have one) If you do not have a pasta machine, roll dough with a rolling pin until thin, then cut into 1cm wide strips. Gather into dusted piles, and set aside in a warm place to dry for 30mins
- When ready to cook - bring a large pot of water to the boil, drop the pasta in for 2-3mins until tender
- NOTE: If using pre-made pasta - follow packet instructions, however don't boil on high or you'll lose some of the chocolate-y flavour
Now for the Sauce!
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- whipped cream
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together in a small saucepan.
- Add powdered sugar and evaporated milk
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 8mins stirring CONSTANTLY.
- Then remove from heat and add vanilla
Now that the pasta is ready, and the sauce is hot and ready to be poured, drain the pasta and return to empty saucepan.
Toss pasta and sauce together and plate
Add chopped strawberries, nuts and whipped cream.
I used dark chocolate drops, and chopped nuts rather than semi-sweet drops, and hazelnuts.
Adjust to your liking!