Chocolate Pie Gluten Free Dairy Free Type O Diet Vegan
I love chocolate pie but unfortunately I can't have dairy, corn or wheat. So... I did what I always do, I made my own.
One day at the grocery store I was buying chocolate soy milk and got to thinking, why not make a pie out of chocolate soy milk?
Homemade pudding is made with two cups of cow's milk and thickened with cornstarch but I though perhaps I could copy the same thing with soy milk.
This recipe does not contain wheat, dairy, corn starch or eggs.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Put all ingredients into a large bowl and mix with a pastry cutter or two forks until crumbly. If you have a fancy food processor you can use that.
- Spray 9" pie plate with baking spray. Since this recipe is fat free you'll need to do this to make sure it doesn't stick.
- Press pie crust onto plate until evenly spread over the pan. You want it on the sides too.
- Bake in oven for about 8-10 minutes. You want it to be crisp but not overdone. You don't have to cool the crust before putting in the pie filling.
Chocolate Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2 T margarine
- Put all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Mix thoroughly with a granny fork or wire whisk until smooth.
- Cook over medium high heat stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. You don't have to cool the pie crust or the filling.
- Serve warm or after chilled in the refrigerator
You could make a variation of this recipe by buying plain soy milk and eliminating the cocoa for a vanilla pie.
You can add berries for a blueberry, strawberry or blackberry pudding pie.
Add 1 tablespoon lemon zest for a lemon pie.
For special occasions you can garnish the top of your chocolate pie with crushed peppermint. Lemon pies can be decorated with slices of lemon shaped into cones and fruit pies can be topped with extra fruit.
Not everyone realizes that most non-dairy toppings have gelatin in them which is usually made from animal products. If you are a vegetarian or vegan you may want to avoid these.
YouTube seems to be full of videos of grandsons and grannies. This is meant to be a joke, I hope no one is too offended.