Chocolate truffle cake recipe
This Chocolate truffle cake recipe is absolutely to die for. It is so rich and chocolaty that you will only want a sliver vs a huge slice. It has layers of homemade Ganache and homemade Carmel in between moist chocolate cake.You can serve this with homemade whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream. You can even heat a slice of the cake in the microwave just before serving and it will taste like a warm molten cake. Once you make this- it will be your favorite chocolate cake. You just have to convince your family that you made it.
Carmel filling Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 stick butter, diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Ganache Filling and frosting ingredients
3 cups of heavy whipping cream
1 lb milk chocolate chopped
1/2 lb dark chocolate chopped
3 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk
2 sticks unsalted butter melted
2 cups hot water
2 Tablespoon instant coffee
3 cups walnuts
1/2 cup slivered almonds
4 cups sugar
- Make the caramel filling and the Ganache the day before. To make the caramel: Stir the 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and 2T corn syrup in a saucepan over low heat until all the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar dissolves increase the heat to medium; cover pan and cook for about 4 minutes. Uncover and increase heat to high. Keep stirring till mixture reaches an amber color. Remove from the burner and add the 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream. Add the 1/2 stick butter, sour cream,lemon juice. place aside and when cooled cover with plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator till you are ready to assemble cake. (the Carmel does not taste sweet)
- Lets make Ganache. Chop all your chocolate into pieces. Place into a large bowl. In a medium saucepan heat your 3 cups heavy cream till heated and very warm. Pour cream over the chocolate in the bowl and stir till chocolate is melted. Cool then cover and chill overnight.
- When you are ready to make your cake- take your Carmel filling and your chocolate Ganache out of the refrigerator.
- To make your cake: Preheat oven to 350. Butter two 9 inch cake pans and line each bottom with parchement paper and dust with flour.
- Sift your 4 Cups sugar, 1 1/4 Cup cocoa powder ,3 1/4 Cups flour, 3 teaspoons baking soda, 3 teaspoons baking flour, salt in a large bowl. Add your 4 eggs,2 Cups milk, and melted butter using an electric mixer and beat till blended.
- In a separate bowl add your 2 Tablespoons of instant coffee to 2 cups hot water. Stir till it dissolves. Add this to your batter and blend well. Mixture will be thin. Pour half the batter into the prepared pans and not any more. (this cake rises good). Bake cakes until batter comes out clean. 32 minutes or less. Cool cakes on a wire rack until they are all done
- Using a long seregated knife cut each cake horizontally in half. Place 1 layer of cake on a platter. Layer a thin layer of ganache on the layer of the cake. Layer a thin layer of Carmel. Sprinkle almonds on top of the Carmel. top with the second layer of cake and so on. Layering Ganache and Carmel and nuts all between layers.
- When all of your layers are assembled. Ice your cake with the Ganache. Press walnuts on the sides of the cake. Top the cake with Carmel and almonds. Chill cake in refrigerator before serving.
Enjoy your chocolate truffle cake. This cake is so moist and chocolaty. You will need a big knife to slice this cake. It is super rich and thick. The Homemade Carmel do-sent taste sweet but adds a richness to the cake, and the Ganache is so chocolaty.