Christmas Brussels Sprout Recipes
Quick, Easy Brussels Sprout Recipes
Brussels Sprouts With Chestnuts
Christmas dinner just isn't the same without Brussels Sprouts. In the UK, from Autumn until Spring Brussels Sprouts are readily available and cheap. They are packed full of nutrients, antioxidants and bio flavonoids; they count as one of your 'five a day', and contain iron and calcium. Why would you not eat them?
I absolutely adore this vegetable and could eat boiled sprouts three times a day without becoming bored, BUT, I know there are a few strange people out there who struggle to love the humble sprout, let alone actually put one in their mouth, so maybe these recipe ideas might tempt even hardened sprout haters to give this nutritious vegetable another try.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon oil for frying
- 1 oz/28g butter
- 6 brussels sprouts per person, stalk and outer leaves removed, then shredded
- 1 can/vac pack, chestnuts
- Add the oil to a frying pan and fry the diced onions until soft..
- When the onions are soft add the crushed garlic and fry for a minute. Garlic burns really easily, so don't overcook it otherwise the dish will be bitter.
- Add the shredded sprouts. Turn down the heat and cover. Cook for five minutes.
- Add the chestnuts. Cover and cook for another five minutes.
- When the shredded sprouts are al dente, remove from the heat and stir in the butter to glaze the vegetables, then serve and enjoy.
Recipe Variation - Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
This is a really simple variation on the above dish; pancetta works really well with sprouts and chestnuts.
- Empty a pack of pancetta - about 2 oz or 50g into the frying pan and fry in the oil until beginning to brown.
- Add the onions and follow the recipe as before.
Recipe Variation - Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts
Another really simple recipe variation.
- Simply add 100g hazelnuts to the oil in the frying pan before frying the onions.
- Cook the nuts until they take on some colour - five minutes.
- Then add the onions and continue as before.
- Leave out the chestnuts in this recipe.