- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Easy Cookie And Baking Recipes: Best Biscotti Recipe
Another addition to Christmas cookies and candy offerings that can be part of a gift basket, a stand-alone gift in a pretty gift bag or tin, or a yummy addition to any get-together. Biscotti is surprisingly easy to make and so delicious! This one is my favorite but there are so many varieties it is hard to know which one to make and share first!
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- You will chill the dough about 45 minutes after adding all ingredients.
- Mix together sugar, egg whites, melted butter and almond extract.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and almonds.
- Combine the sugar mixture with the dry mixture.
- Now chill the dough for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll the dough into a log. Pat down to 1/2-inch thickness. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 30 minutes until golden.
- Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees.
- Slice the large cookie (diagonally) into 1-inch slices.
- Bake them on their side in the 275 degree oven on 1 side for 15 minutes.
- Turn them over and bake 5 minutes more.
- For the crispiest biscotti, leave the biscotti in the oven after turning it off and remove when the oven has cooled.
How To Toast Almonds
Difficulty: Easy Time Required: 15 minutes
- Place almonds in a heavy ungreased skillet.
- Stir often over medium heat until golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spread nuts in 1 layer on ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Place 1/2 cup slivered almonds and 1 tablespoon margarine or butter in a 9-inch microwave-proof pie plate.
- Microwave on high, stirring every minute until brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Toasting nuts intensifies their flavor.
- Toasted nuts are less likely to sink in cake and bread batters.
- Almond yields: 1 pound = 3 cups halves or 4 cups slivered.
More Supplies You Can Purchase Here
Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
- 4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch-processed
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup hazelnuts (toasted and coarsely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To toast hazelnuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15 min or until lightly browned and skins begin to flake. Remove from the oven and place nuts in a dish towel. Roll up the towel and let the nuts 'steam' for 5 min and then briskly rub the towel with nuts inside to remove skins from nuts. Cool and chop coarsely. Set aside. (Or buy already skinned and roast as above only shorter time)
- Reduce temperature of oven to 300 degrees.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, combine the coarsely chopped chocolate and brown sugar and process until the chocolate is very fine. Set aside.
- Sift or whisk together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, combine eggs and vanilla extract to blend, about 30 seconds.
- On low speed mix in the chocolate/sugar and flour mixtures until a stiff dough forms, adding in the hazelnuts about halfway through mixing.
- On floured surface, divide the dough in half. Form each half into a log 12 inches long. Do this by rolling dough back and forth into a cylinder shape with floured hands.
- Transfer the logs to baking sheet, spacing them well apart (width-wise on the pan) and pat to even the shapes.
- Bake until almost firm to the touch - 35-40 minutes. (Logs will spread during baking)
- Remove from oven, place on rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a long spatula, transfer logs to cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut the dough into slices 3/4-inch thick on the diagonal.
- Arrange the slices cut-side down on baking sheet - bake 15 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and bake until crisp and dry - about 15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Almond Bark Peppermint Candy
Christmas candy ideas could not be simpler than this SUPER easy-to-make yet delicious candy. It keeps very well in air-tight containers and makes a beautiful gift as part of a Christmas gift basket or in a...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Soft Caramels
morguefile.com The possibilities for homemade gift giving are endless but here is another of my Christmas candy ideas that sounds like it would be complicated to make but really is a snap! These are melt in...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Almost Almond Roca
morguefile.com This is another of my Christmas candy ideas that is super simple to make and makes a beautiful gift to add to a Christmas basket - or just simply to enjoy over the holidays. I keep mine in...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Broken Glass Candy
morguefile.com This is one of my favorite Christmas candy ideas for adding to gift baskets at the holidays. This recipe is a more difficult one because it involves temperature and cooking to the hard...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Amish Caramel Corn
morguefile.com Another of my super easy Christmas candy ideas that you can make ahead, store in airtight containers and then incorporate as part of a gift basket or a stand-alone gift in decorative tins or...