- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Sausage Muffins For The Holidays
Moist and delicious, cheesy sausage muffins.
Delicious Make Ahead Breakfast For Christmas Morning
Never miss another exciting morning of gift sharing and play. These muffins are a hearty start to the day and a perfect accompaniment to hot chocolate or your favorite coffee.
While I wouldn't make these an every weekend breakfast item, they are an excellent breakfast treat for the holidays. I make them the day before so we can just warm them in the oven, wrapped in foil, or in the microwave for about 25 seconds.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 18 min
- Ready in: 48 min
- Yields: 12 Muffins
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 10 g||50%|
|Unsaturated fat 8 g|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Cholesterol 83 mg||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1 1/2 cups flour, I use unbleached for a better flavor
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese, If you want a sharp cheese flavor use sharp cheddar. I used medium white.
- 1/4 cup Thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
- 1/2 pound Any Bulk Sausage, I used a mile Italian
- 14 ounce package sliced Finely Chopped Sauteed Mushrooms, I like baby portabella, more flavor packed
- 2/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 large Eggs, Lightly beaten
- 1 cube Melted Butter
- To Taste Freshly Ground Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Butter the muffin cups well.
- Cook sausage until done, crumbling as you cook it. When sausage is done remove to a paper plate with a slotted spoon and add finely diced mushrooms to sausage fat and cook until done and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Add to sausage and let cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Mix well with a fork or spoon. Add grated cheese a little at a time coating with flour.
- Melt butter, on low heat, in the sausage/mushroom pan, add milk to cool then whisk in eggs.
- Mix cooled sausage and mushrooms to flour/cheese mixture.
- Add butter, egg, milk mixture to bowl and stir until just mixed.
- Spoon 1/2 cup into each of 12 well buttered muffin cups. I use a non stick muffin pan that holds 12 muffins. I never use paper cups.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.