- Food and Cooking»
- Beverage Recipes
The College Hobbyist: Best Five Minute Gin and Tonic Recipe
Gin and Tonic is a delicious and classy drink that has been tried and true, proven throughout time, and takes a sweeter, more refreshing, and even much simpler approach to flavor than most mixed drinks; no concentrated juice, colas, or mixed liquors here. Now without further adieu..
Grab a Glass
First you will want to choose the size and shape of your glass and pre-frost it in the freezer for some additional chill and aesthetic. My preferred styles of glass for a gin and tonic are slim jims, pints, or tumblers depending on the size of my drink. In this recipe I will be using a pint-sized stein and mixing according to that size.
- FIll glass 1/3 with ice, I prefer crushed ice
- Fill with premium gin until ice is submerged, this is usually 2-3 shots
- Squeeze a 1/8 wedge of lime or lemon into the tonic for sweet citrus. If you want a more sour drink use both, heavier on lemon. For sweet go heavier on the lime
- Fill with crisp fresh tonic water to the top
- Stir and enjoy!
- 1/3 glass Ice, Chill out
- 1/3 glass or to top of ice Gin, Tanqueray baby!
- 1/8th whole, or desired wedge Lime/Lemon, Sweet AND Sour
- To the top with tonic, Let it fizz!
Your Gin and Your Tonic
Pick a good high-quality Gin to mix with first and foremost. Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Beefeater, New Amsterdam, or Seagram's are all fine choices. Keep your gin chilled prior to drinking.
Tonic is a little more forgiving however cans or glass bottles are usually best here, and some good brands include Schwepp's, Canada Dry, and Refreshe
Gin and Ice
Lime, then Tonic
1. Gin is best served out of the freezer, and the best Gin comes in glass bottles - Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire are good choices if you are unfamiliar with Gin
2. Tonic comes usually in larger plastic bottles however it can be found in both glass bottles at many small liquor stores or convenience stores as well as cans. I would recommend, of course, glass bottles tonic, fresh limes, and glass bottled gin.
3. Get creative with your citrus! Gin and tonic is an excellent base drink for tart and sour flavors and will bode well with not just lime, but lemon, grapefruit, oranges, and even cranberry! Try different combinations.
4. Please comment, leave feedback, and check out my other hubs for more related topics! I'd love to hear from you!
How Easy Was This Recipe to Follow?
What is your favorite Gin to mix with?
- Simple and Quick Southwestern Smothered Steak Burritos
The wet sauce burrito was born and championed in the American southwest as a result of the combining of northern the California Mission Burrito and the Red Chili Burrito from farther down the coast.
- Simple and Quick Southwestern Breakfast Burritos
Breakfast burritos are fast to prepare, efficient at what they do, and delicious. A quick and easy recipe for spicy southwestern breakfast burritos, at any time.