- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Cilantro and Black Bean Salad
If summer had a poster salad, surely it would be this one. It feels like the way you want to eat all the time and it tastes like it too. It's my oldest son's favorite, he had me make it again and again. He's married now so it reminds me of a time long past. It reminds me that God makes better foods than we do, and that flavor and diversity is better than same old, same old, any day. I love the way a dish comes into your life and over the years you change it here and there and make it your own until you can't remember the way it once was. This salad is a good reminder that nothing lasts forever, change is good and memories are sometimes as close as the tip of your fork. I hope you'll love this healthy, wonderful dish as much as we do.
Ingredients for salad and dressing
- 2 Bunches Cilantro, washed, stems cut off.
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 Small avocados, peeled, pitted, cut into small bites
- 1 bag Frozen, white corn, thawed
- 2 cans Black beans, drained
- 1 Lg sweet onion, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, diced
- 3/4 Cup Lime juice, fresh is best, but bottled is fine
- 3/4 Cup Canola oil, any light oil
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- Chop veggies, add ingredients for dressing one by one on top of veggies. I don't give exact measurements for lime juice and oil etc. because it really should be done to taste. My family likes a lot of lime where yours may not. Start small and add as you go. I also don't rinse the beans, though I drain them, because I like the starchiness they add to the dressing. Try the recipe as written the first time, then make substitutions the next time. Add peppers or mango, red onion... make it your own.