Cinnamon Applesauce Streusel Muffins
How I Came UP With This Recipe
It's apple season and I was in the mood for home made apple sauce. So I made so some. I posted the recipe for it in another hub, but I will post it again here. I made a lot and wanted to do something with it. So I got a basic muffin recipe and started adding some things to it and came up with this recipe. I love doing that because It makes it my own recipe. It is so easy just to look up a recipe now with the internet, but it's more meaningful to your family if you actually come up with a recipe all your own.
You can make a lot of them and freeze them and take them out when you need them. They are also really good to eat when you take them out of the oven and they are still warm. But I like the glaze on it so I cooled them before adding it.
Muffins are so versatile. They can be savory or they can be sweet. They can be giant size, normal size or little mini muffins are so much fun too.
If you don't want to take the time to make your own applesauce, you can certainly use store bought. I think the applesauce that has bits of apples in it is really good, so you can actually get the apple taste. And, of course, you know that they say, "An Apple A Day Keeps the Doctor Away". Hope you enjoy these muffins.
Photos of Cinnamon Applesauce Streusel Muffins
Home Made Applesauce
I simply bought a bag of apples, about 5 lbs. Peel, core and cut in large pieces. Put them in a pot with a cup of apple juice and 3 or 4 tablespoons of honey; depending on the amount of sweetness you like. Cook them on medium heat until the apples are cooked and soft. If you have an immersion blender, this is great for pureeing the applesauce right in the pot. (Taking the pot off the burner first). If you don't have an immersion blender (hand blender) then use your regular blender but leaving little bits of apples in it. Spoon into a container and after it's cooled put an air tight lid on it and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
It's that simple!
Picture of my Homemade Applesauce
Simply mix 4 tablespoons of confectioner's sugar (10X) and 1 teaspoon of milk. Mix until all the sugar is dissolved.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 cup milk, 2 % or whole
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ingredients For The Streusel:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small chunks
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees. Grease your muffin pans.
- Mix the flour and all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the egg, milk, butter vanilla and applesauce. Don't over mix the batter, it should not be smooth.
- Fill the greased muffin pans and spoon all of the streusel mix on top. Load it up, using all streusel. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes depending on your oven or until the toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Then the muffins are done, I keep them in the tins and allow them to cool completely then apply the glaze, drizzling it back and forth across the muffins.
- Then allow the glaze to dry before packing them away. No need to refrigerate the muffins, room temperature is fine. Enjoy!