- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques»
Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread Recipe
Let Me Know What You Think
Plain Banana Bread
Regular banana bread, the kind you used to smell when you walked into Grandma's house is great. It's moist, savory, sweet and perfect with morning coffee or as an after dinner snack. It's satisfying during the summer, winter, fall and spring.
Typically, I bake one small loaf of banana bread and call it quits for a few weeks. And then I discovered how heavenly cinnamon tastes alongside banana. I made a small batch of this recipe and my finace ate the whole loaf in a night. He is a bottomless pit, but even I contemplated devouring the whole batch. So, a few days later I went to the grocery store and loaded up on overripe bananas, flour and sugar and set out on a mission to bake the biggest, heaviest banana bread I could.
To say the least, I succeeded. I didn't weight the thing, but I would assume it was at least 10 pounds. I made it in a casserole dish and it was nearly overflowing. We still managed to eat the whole thing and deliver a few slices to some friends in less than a week. For this recipe, however, I will provide normal ingredients and measurements and if you like it, triple it! That is will make it a casserole sized banana bread loaf.
Triple Banana Bread
Ingredients for Banana Bread
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients for Cinnamon Swirl
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon powder
Ingredients for Cinnamon Crumble
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1/8 cup light brown sugar
Cinnamon Crumble Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl mash bananas. I used a fork. In a separate bowl combine baking soda, salt and flour and mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Now add the eggs and the mashed bananas and mix well. Finally, slowly add in the flour mixture and stir well until all ingredients are combined.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan and pour half of the mixture into the pan.
- In a small bowl combine cinnamon swirl ingredients (cinnamon and sugar).
- Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the banana bread mixture in the loaf pan. You may choose to drag a toothpick through it to add more of a "swirl" swirl effect. This is not necessary, however.
- Slowly pour the rest of the banana bread mixture into the loaf pan, spreading it out evenly over the cinnamon swirl mixture.
- To make crumble, simply combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour melted butter over the dry mixture and mix until crumble/lumps form.
- Lightly spread the cinnamon crumble over the banana bread mixture.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and removed dry.
Warm Banana Bread and Morning Coffee
How Much is in A Slice?
|Serving size: 1/16 of loaf|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 40 g||13%|
|Sugar 23 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 28 mg||9%|
|Sodium 136 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Serve This Alongside...
This banana bread is the absolute best first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee or tea. For a warm breakfast, place a thin slice in the toaster, toast slightly and top with butter.
Not having breakfast? Want to play up your banana bread? How about caramelized bananas? Simply heat 1/2 cup butter over medium low heat and add in 1/8 cup brown sugar and 1/8 cup white sugar. Stir well and then add in sliced bananas. Serve up warm as a side to your banana bread.
Another sweet option is to serve it warm with vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate sauce.
For a healthy side, try a crisp green salad with raisins or cranberries. Drizzle with a light, sweet vinaigrette.
Your Opinion Matters
I will make this recipe religiously for many years to come because both my fiancé and I adore it to no end. However, if you think you have made a good change or substitution, feel free to let me know. I am always looking for a way to healthify a recipe, but this is one that I wasn't willing to mess with just yet because I like it too much.
If you do want to make it a little healthier or lower calorie, don't add the crumble topping. It is amazing how many calories and sugars that sweet little topping adds to any recipe.