- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Classic Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Yum! Chicken Noodle Soup!
A very simple and easy recipe used from the leftovers of a roasted chicken dinner. I love making chicken noodle soup in the winter and when I am feeling down. It is a great pick me up! I make a bone broth from the leftover roasted chicken prior to starting the soup recipe. This takes roughly 20-24 hours. You are welcome to use less time to make a stock instead. I prefer a nutrient dense gelatinous broth full of flavor!
Chicken Bone Broth Recipe:
Place leftover chicken bones with meat and any leftover skin in a crock pot on low. Pour water over the bones, just until covered. Place the lid on the crock pot, without fully sealing, allowing steam to leave. Be sure that the bone broth does not boil, but is at a very low simmer.
After 20-24 hours remove the bones and pick off the meat. Set the meat aside to use for the soup.
Strain the broth through a wire strainer to remove any pieces.
Put the broth in the refrigerator to allow the fat to rise to the top. Skim off the fat and discard.
Your bone broth is now ready to use.
Cook Time (Including Time to make broth)
- 4-6 cups Homemade chicken bone broth
- Leftover chicken from making broth (taken from chicken bones)
- 2 Celery stalks, diced
- 2 Large carrots, sliced in coins
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 3 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan sea salt
- desired amount of pasta (I used gluten free egg noodles)
- Make chicken broth in crock pot or stock pan. I use two left over roasted chickens. Strain broth and separate edible meat. Set both broth and meat aside.
- Prepare a pot to cook noodles by bringing some water to a boil. Cut carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms and garlic.
- Once the water has boiled, add noodles and cook until tender. Remove from boiling water, coat with a bit of oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
- Heat a soup pan on medium high heat. Add about 1 tbsp of beef tallow, ghee, butter, or oil to the pan. Add onions, garlic and carrots. saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add celery, thyme, salt and mushrooms. Continue to saute until vegetables are tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, noodles and chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Enjoy!
© 2016 Healthy Habits