- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Classic New York Style Cheese Cake With Reduced Calories
Perfect New York Style Cheese Cake
Heavy, Creamy, and Oh So Delicious
This is an excellent and classic New York style cheesecake recipe. The basic recipe is rich and satisfying on its own but you can customize to add a flourishing touch, such as topping with shaved dark chocolate or incorporating broken chunks of Oreo cookies into the cake. My favorite way is to make a topping from fresh fruit, usually blueberries or strawberries. It is well worth it to master the art of making the delectable cheesecake. I've brought cheesecakes to potluck parties, holiday dinners, even used a made-to-order cheesecake as a bargaining chip. (I got free Calculus tutoring sessions and he got an 8 inch cheesecake. This was a win-win situation.) Taking that first bite into the cheesecake you have made is fulfilling but sharing with friends and family is even better. Food is love and your loved ones will certainly appreciate a good home made cheesecake!
Ingredients - Filling
- 1 1/2 pound cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Faranheit. In large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beat thoroughly after each addition. Add vanilla and lemon rind. Continue to blend until mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and bake for about 55-60 minutes, just until center is firm to the touch. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Chill until serving time. Add fruit topping if desired. Release sides of pan and leave on bottom to serve.
- The cheesecake will shrink as it cools to room temperature and will form uneven and unsightly cracks on the sides and the top. It will taste just as good but if you are concerned about presentation, after about 20 minutes of cooling stick a butter knife into the sides of the pan and saw up and down. Continue around until the circle has been completed. The cheesecake will be loosened from the sides and it will now shrink and cool smoothly.
- Cheesecake can be served after being cooled then chilled in a refrigerator. Cheesecake can also be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer. Take out the cheesecake 2 - 4 hours to defrost completely before serving.
- To lower calories, half of the cream cheese can be substituted with . Neufchâtel cheese has 1/3 of the calories that the same amount of cream cheese has. All of the cream cheese can be replaced with Neufchâtel cheese to lower the total calories even further. However, there will be a very slight sour taste and a minor change in texture. Unless the person you serve the cake to is a cheesecake connoisseur, it is highly unlikely that they will notice the difference in ingredients. Neufchâtel cheese
- Another way to lower calories is to replace the sugar with a sugar baking substitute, such as or Splenda Sugar Blend. I cannot guarantee the taste as I have never used a sugar substitute. Aspartame
- Please leave a comment and let me know how your cheesecake turned out. Get creative!
© 2012 Power Ball Pythons