Coconut Chicken Breasts
Low Carbohydrate Gluten Free Recipe
I've been following a semi low carb diet for three months now and I'm always experimenting in the kitchen creating new dishes. Coconut chicken is made in a similar way that you'd make traditional breaded chicken expect I didn't use any bread crumbs.
Included below is a recipe for a Walnut Spring Mix Cabbage Salad.
Low Carb Diets
Are you on a low carbohydrate diet?
Ingredients to go along with the chicken breasts
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 cup of shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened )
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 Tbs. of Hosin Sauce
- 2-3 pounds of boneless chicken breasts defrosted
Making Your Own Almond Flour or Almond Meal
All you need to make your own almond flour is a coffee grinder and the shelled almonds. Place the almonds (blanched or unblanched) into the coffee grinder and pulse a few times.
A Frugal Aluminum Tin Foil Tip
I used to buy the aluminum foil that was non-stick, and then one day I was thinking about it and thought why can't I just use regular tin foil and spray it myself with olive oil or vegetable oil cooking spray. It will save money and probably work just as well. It works great and I no longer buy the non-stick tin foil.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum tin foil and spray the tin foil with olive or vegetable cooking spray.
- In a bowl mix together the almond flour and coconut. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix and whisk together 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk, and 2 Tbs. of Hoisin sauce.
- If the chicken breasts are really thick slice them diagonally.
- Dip the chicken breasts first into the egg mixture and then into the coconut mixture making sure they are well coated.
- Place each chicken breast onto the baking sheet.
- Pop the chicken breasts into the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken breasts sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- With the chicken I served Thai stir fry vegetables, and a walnut spring mix cabbage salad.
Ingredients for Salad Dressing
- 2 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs. of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tbs. of lemon juice
- 4 shakes of fine sea salt
- 1 Tbs. of honey
- 1/8 tsp of ginger
- fresh ground pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Walnut Spring Mix Cabbage Salad
- 1/2 of a medium sweet onion sliced
- 1/4 of an English cucumber sliced and quartered
- 1 medium size carrot grated
- 2 cups of cabbage chopped into thin strips
- 2 cups of Spring Mix lettuce
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl combine and gently toss the onion, English cucumber, grated carrot, and chopped cabbage.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the salad dressing and whisk together.
- Pour the salad dressing over the salad.
- Add the walnuts and gently toss.
Does this recipe sound good? Please rate accordingly
© 2013 Susan Zutautas