- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Coconut Curried Prawns with Rice Recipe
- 500g Prawns, peeled (1 pound)
- 1 Can Coconut Cream 400mL (Size 303 Can, 2 cups, 15.5 ounces)
- 1 Can Tiny Potatoes 410g (Size 303 Can, 2 cups, 15.5 ounces)
- 1 Can Corn Kernels 72g (Size 7/8 Can, half cup, 4 ounces)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Indian Curry Powder
- 1 small Onion diced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic or 2 teaspoons crushed Garlic
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Rice cooked
- 2 pinches of fresh fennel leaves (optional)
Slice the tiny potatoes into rounds and set aside. I use tiny potatoes from a can because they are soft and don’t need cooking. If you were to use fresh potatoes you would have to precook them until soft (approximately 8 minutes in boiling water.) I also use canned potatoes to help prevent over cooking the prawns.
In a pan fry the diced onion and crushed garlic in the olive oil. Sweat them down until they just start to brown.
Now add the can of Coconut Cream and bring this mixture to simmer. Add the Corn Kernels, sliced potatoes and Indian Curry Powder. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring back to the simmer.
Now we need to add the prawns, simmer this mixture for about 3 to 4 minutes. Not too long as you don’t want to overcook the prawns. They will have curled and you will see orange in their markings (depending on prawn variety).
Once the prawns have cooked, take the pan off the heat and stir through the fennel leaves. You could add chopped parsley or sweet basil instead of the fennel. The green of these herbs will give your dish a flavor and visual boost.
Serve over cooked rice. This recipe serves four (4).
You might like to try this other recipe idea:
This recipe is an easy family favorite, that is a healthy and fresh side dish. Add the Basil Pesto Sauce to pasta for a side dish to your favourite steak or grilled fish.