- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Cold Salad Recipes
The next time you are asked to bring a vegetable or appetizer to a potluck dinner, consider taking a cold salad. Cold salads are simple recipes to make, and they store and transport easily. They also taste great, and tend to be hits at all times of special events, from family dinners to supper club socials.
Following are a few of my favorite savory and sweet cold salad recipes:
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 3 medium red onions, sliced
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3 teaspoons Splenda or sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mixing well. Cover and chill for a minimum of one hour before serving.
Broccoli & Bleu Cheese Salad
- 4 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 green, red, or yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 cup bleu cheese salad dressing
- Bleu cheese crumbles
Combine all ingredients except blue cheese crumbles in a bowl, making sure that all veggies are evenly coated with salad dressing. Cover and chill for a minimum of one hour before serving. Garnish with bleu cheese crumbles.
Orange-Pineapple Cottage Cheese Salad
- 1 carton cottage cheese (16 ounces, regular or reduced-fat)
- 1 carton Cool Whip (12 ounces)
- 1 can crushed pineapple (20 ounces)
- 1 can mandarin oranges (14 ounces)
- 1 package orange gelatin (6 ounces)
Drain both cans of fruit. Combine with Cool Whip, cottage cheese, and gelatin mix in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Refrigerate an hour or more before serving.
- 1 can crushed pineapple (20 ounces, drained)
- 2 cans mandarin oranges (14 ounces each, drained)
- 1 can sliced peaches (14 ounces, drained)
- 1 pound seedless grapes
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla yogurt
Drain each can of fruit. Place all ingredients in a bowl. Mix gently. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or more before serving. Garnish with additional fruit and/or chopped nuts if desired.
Cucumber & Onion Salad
- 6 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small bottle Greek salad dressing
- Crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. If desired, top with crumbled feta cheese before serving.
More Great Cold Salad Recipes:
For more great cold salad recipe ideas, see: