Cole Slaw Recipe
Vote for the Slaw!
Your Nugget of Nutritional Info for this post:
Of Cabbages & Kings: As low as 22 calories a cup, this roughage is righteous! Nutrient: sulforaphane increases the number of free radical-fighting enzymes produced by the body. In all of Veggie Kingdom, sulforaphane is the #1 booster of these enzymes. Slaw-tastic!
Resources for Organic & Farm Fresh Produce
- The FM in Farmer's Market
Click the above link to discover the Santa Barbara's Farmer's Market. Chock full of tantalizing shots of gorgeous veggies and fruits, this post is a treat for the eyes, and includes video and a flip book show!
Everything but the Veggies:
Recipe in Rebus
- ½ head cabbage, sliced to ribbons
- 2-3 carrots, grated
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning, the kind for seafood & poultry
- to taste: salt & pepper
- 2-4 TBSP. mayonnaise, I like the olive oil based one by Best Foods
- dollop Dijon mustard
How to Do It:
- Slice cabbage into ribbons, and slice ribbons into thirds.
- Dice green onions, separating white dice from the green.
- Heat small amount of oil in pan. Add white diced onions to this and let saute for a minute or two.
- Deglaze with vinegar. Careful! It will spit!
- Add sugar. The sequence is important, because we're not looking for candied onions, but a gastrique.
- Cook down until the vinegar odor rising from pan stops--about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place in bowl, and cool. I stack a small bowl on top of a bigger bowl of ice to expedite this.
- Grate carrots. I do this on top of a paper towel, so that when I'm finished, I can just fold away those irksome shreds & have a clean cutting board with minimal effort.
- Combine all veggies in bowl.
- Add mayo, gastrique, & mustard.
- Add Old Bay Seasoning & salt & pepper.
- Done!! :)