A Recipe for a Group
This is a family favorite that we make every year at Christmas for a very large group of almost 50 people. The actual recipe isn't for that many people but we make several servings of it in order for everyone to partake.
The best thing about this recipe is most of the prep can be done ahead of time. In fact most of the actual cooking can be done the day before leaving your oven free for other items.
This recipe can also be made with either chicken or turkey. I have had it either way. We like to make it with boneless turkey breasts for large gatherings.
This recipe also has some surprising ingredients and some you may not have known existed.
- 1 (6oz) pkg dried beef
- 8 to 10 slices bacon
- 2 turkey breasts
- 1 (8oz) pkg mushrooms
- 2 cans cream of mushroom
- 2 cups sour cream
- Line the bottom of a casserole dish with dried beef
- Place the turkey on top of the dried beef
- Cover the turkey breast with bacon
- Bake at 375 until the bacon is crisp - these step can be done the day ahead
- Mix together soup, sour cream, and mushrooms
- Pour the mixture over the baked meat and cook for another 20-30 minutes, until brown and bubbly
In order to serve for the dinner party, slice the turkey breasts and serve with mashed potatoes. The sauce from the casserole is wonderful over mashed potatoes.