Coney Burger and Dill Dip | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
Coney Island is an Icon of American Amusement Park Entertainment. In it’s heyday during the postwar 40’s and 50’s well over a million visitors a year went to the park, beach, and boardwalk to enjoy the summer fun. It never was centrally managed and fell into disrepair during the 60’s and 70’s. Well folks it’s coming back, Rides have been rebuilt and improved, The beach and boardwalk are open all year round (although lifeguards are only on duty from Memorial Day to Labor Day) and Nathan's Hot Dogs and the New York Aquarium are open almost every day of the year. The Coney IslandMuseum is also open on Saturdays and Sundays, from noon to 5 PM all year round.
The other rides and attractions are generally open from Easter through Labor Day and the Beach, while open all year is staffed with Lifeguards only from Memorial Day through Labor Day. I don’t think my folks ever got a chance to go to Coney Island, but through out the USA during it’s peak and largely because of the great Nathans Hot Dogs, if you ordered a ‘Coney Island’ at any diner in America, you’d get a ‘decked out’ Dog with all the trimmings. Here is a little variation that will have you thinking Roller Coasters and Boardwalk, Do Enjoy…
1lb Ground Beef
2 tbsp Onion, Finley Chopped
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
½ tsp Ground Sage
1/3 cup Parsley, Finley Chopped
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
About 1 cup All Purpose Flour
6 Long Hot Dog Buns
- In a mixing Bowl combine the Ground Beef, Onion, Salt Pepper, and Sage; mix well.
- Shape Mixture into 6 logs and roll in the flour
- In a Skillet over medium high heat, Heat the oil. Cook the meat logs until brown on all sides, roll in the chopped Parsley.
- Serve on the Buns with the condiments of your choice.
This dip can also serve as a unique condiment for you Coney burgers; just spoon it in like relish or mustard and Do Enjoy!
1 ½ cup Dairy Sour Cream
½ cup Mayonnaise
2 tbsp prepared Hot Mustard (Dijon preferred)
1 tsp Dried Dill Weed
¼ cup Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
2 tsp Lemon Juice
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
- In a Medium size Bowl, combine all ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Spoon into a Serving Bowl cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or loinger before serving.
Yield 2 Cups of Dip
More on Coney Island and The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
- Coney Island Fun Guide - Brooklyn - New York
Coney Island Fun Guide: a comprehensive event and attraction listing for the world-famous People's Playground in Brooklyn, NY
- The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book, was first published in September 1988 by my Father Mel Ellis, from recipes that literally were in the cupboard drawer that had been collected over the years by my Mom,...