- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Cookbook Review: Best Recipes from America’s Food Festivals
Do you enjoy a good food festival? My husband absolutely loves what he calls "fair food." There are several festivals we attend in our local region each year, and we have also attended festivals in various out-of-town locations that we stumble upon while traveling.
My husband loves to eat, but cooking isn't his thing. He doesn't usually express much interest in my rather expansive cookbook collection or cooking hobby, but his eyes lit up when I brought home a copy of The Best Recipes From America's Food Festivals by James O. Fraoli.
We looked through the publication together and were pleased to stumble across a few festivals that we have attended, such as the Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival and the Baldwin County Strawberry Festival.
We also identified several other interesting festivals that we hope to attend soon. This book is great for anyone who loves to eat, enjoys cooking, and relishes (no pun intended) attending a great festival event.
Some of the more interesting food festivals included in this fun and interesting book are:
- 5,000 Egg Giant Omelette Festival (Abbeville, LA): giantomelette.org
- Alabama Chicken and Egg Festival (Moulton, AL): alabamachickenandeggfestival.com
- Great American Pie Festival (Celebration, FL): piecouncil.org
- International Horseradish Festival (Collinsville, IL): horseradishfestival.com
- Los Angeles Tofu Festival (CA): tofufest.org
- Rosendale International Pickle Festival (Rosendale, New York): picklefest.com
- Stockton Asparagus Festival (Stockton, CA): asparagusfest.com
There are a lot of great festivals that aren't included in this book, so a sequel might be a great idea! Some of the super festivals in the southeast that I'd love to see in a future edition include: The Elberta Sausage Festival (Elberta, AL), The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (NOLA), the National Shrimp Festival (Gulf Shores, AL), and Williams Station Day (Atmore, AL). There are also many incredible Greek Festivals located throughout the country that are renowned for amazing food.
Some of the festivals that appear really terrific are pretty far from where we live, so attending in person might not be an option. However, with the great recipes in this book, we can easily make our own "fair food" at home.
Great Food Festival Recipes
Among the many great recipes in The Best Recipes form America's Food Festivals you will find:
- Grilled Banana Split from the National Barbecue Festival in Douglas, Georgia (nationalbbqfestival.com)
- Nutter Butter Cheesecake Truffles from the National Peanut Festival in Dothan, Alabama (nationalpeanutfestival.com)
- Pumpkin Ribbon Bread from the Morton Pumpkin Festival in Morton, Illinois (pumpkincapital.com)
- The Big Dog's Very Hot Sauce from the National Buffalo Wing Festival in Buffalo, New York (buffalowing.com)
Interestingly, the book is organized not by region, but by the type of food.
- Starters, snacks, and accents
- Main dishes
- Fruits, nuts, and vegetables
About the Author
The Best Recipes form America's Food Festivals' authorJames A. Fraioli is also the author of Trattoria Grappolo: Simple Recipes for Traditional Italian Cuisine and Ocean Friendly Cuisine. He also serves as editor-at-large for both Touring and Tasting magazine and is features editor Dining & Destinations magazines.