- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Cooking: Simple Coconut Brown Rice (Gluten Free)
Made It? Rate It!
I LOVE this recipe. If you're looking for that real kick of coconut flavor, this is what you are looking for. It has a texture similar to rice pudding, and is so light and delicious! I prefer to cook with brown rice because not only do you get the health benefits of brown as opposed to white rice. It's also super easy to make!
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 can water, (use the coconut milk can to measure)
If you've never worked with coconut milk before, you'll notice that when you open up the can it doesn't really look like milk. Not to worry - this is the coconut cream, and you will use it in this recipe. The coconut cream usually takes up the top half of the can. Once you've scooped it out, there will be a clear liquid at the bottom. This is normal - that is the actual coconut milk. You will also use this in the recipe as well!
- Put rice, entire can of coconut milk, 1/2 can water, and sugar into a saucepan on medium high heat and stir until the coconut milk is fairly broken up.
- Bring mixture to a boil and stir frequently.
- It will take about 10 minutes for the mixture to start thickening. When you notice it start to thicken, turn the heat to medium-low. Continue to frequently stir.
- Once the mixture has a consistency like rice pudding (sticky and you are able to shape the rice), it is finished.
- Garnish with whatever ingredients you like: shredded coconut, crushed walnuts, green onion, or even brown sugar!