Cooking With Kids: Easy, Cheesy Vegetable Bread Recipe
How would you rate this recipe?
Kids Cook Monday: Savory Monkey Bread
Ok, this isn't really monkey bread since it is not filled with ooey, gooey, cinnamon and sugar baked into some wonderful goodness. However, this recipe is a savory, pull apart version of monkey bread that will sneak in some vegetables for your kids in the process. With a few simple ingredients and about 40 minutes of time, you will have your kids begging for more bread!
Ingredients for Cheesy Bread
- 2 cans Refrigerated Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Non-salt Seasoning, I used Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Melted butter
- 2 cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1-1/2 cups Shredded Veggetables, I used zucchini, carrots, and broccoli but you can use any that you like.
Equipment for Cheesy Vegetable Bread
Directions for Cheesy Vegetable Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- If you have not already shredded your vegetables, shred them and place them in a bowl. You can use any vegetables that you choose. Just remember to thinly shred them so that they cook while baking.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of the vegetables on top of the layer of cheese in the pan.
- Open the packages of biscuits and cut them into fourths. Most children will be able to do this if they are using a dull knife such as a butter knife. Place the pieces in a bowl or in a pile on the counter where you are working.
- Place the melted butter in a bowl and add the seasoning to it. Start with 1 teaspoon and add more if you desire, then mix.
- Place a handful of the shredded cheese in a sandwich bag. Dip the biscuit piece in butter and then drop it in the bag with the cheese. Shake it around so that it is covered. This is perfect for the kids to do!
- Drop the coated biscuit piece in the pan. Repeat with each piece of biscuit.
- Once there is a layer of the cheese coated biscuits lining the pan, sprinkle the remaining vegetables over the top of the bread.
- Repeat with the remaining biscuit pieces.
- Once all of the pieces have been coated with cheese and put in the pan, place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until cooked completely.
- When the bread has finished cooking, allow it to cook for about 10 minutes. Once cooled, place a plate upside down on top of the bundt pan. Then flip it over so that it comes out right side up on the plate. Let it cool for about 5 more minutes and serve. Your dinner companions will have fun "pulling" the pieces of bread from ring.
Step by Step Photos for Making Savory Vegetable BreadClick thumbnail to view full-size
Second and Third Helpings of Vegetables
My kids enjoyed this bread so much that they came back for seconds and thirds. I'm not a fan of 'hiding' vegetables in food, but my kids didn't even seem to notice that there were vegetables mixed in with this bread. The did not pick any of them out and the seasoning was not strong and overpowering for them. I hope that you and your kids get a chance to make this savory version of monkey bread and that you and your family enjoy it as much as we did!