Cooking With Kids: Pizza Burgers and Parmesan French Fries
Pizza Burgers and Fries
How did you like the pizza burgers?
Dinner Recipes for Busy Nights
When you have kids, chances are that you will be spending some amount of time during the week shuttling kids from one activity to another. It is easy to take a quick run through the drive thru in order to keep your busy schedule and feed your family. But at what cost? Families that eat fast food several times a week are more likely to have children who are obese, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure and an increased rate of type 2 diabetes. So in order to keep you out of the fast food drive thru and keep the health of your family first, you need some quick and easy recipes for those busy nights. With a little bit of planning and some help from the kids, your busy night meals can be the ones that you most look forward to. Here is a great one that my mom used to make for us and now I make for my children.
Pizza Burger Toppings
Some additional topping or mix in ideas for the pizza burgers are:
- green peppers
- tomato slices
Anything that you enjoy on pizza would be great in these burgers.
Ingredients for Pizza Burgers
- 1 pound ground sirloin or turkey
- 1 14 oz. jar pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup various diced pizza toppings, These toppings can be anything that you like to have on your pizza.
- 1/4 cup diced onion
Directions for Pizza Burgers
- Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to a heated pan. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the ground sirloin or turkey in a pan and brown on medium heat.
- Once the meat is browned, add the pizza sauce.
- Follow this with the shredded cheese and any other toppings that you might like on your "pizza." Mix all ingredients together.
- Scoop onto buns and serve!
Pictures of Pizza BurgersClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make Parmesan French Fries
Making homemade, oven baked fries is easy and fun for the whole family. We make oven baked fries often and add different seasonings to change up the flavor a bit. Here is how we make our Parmesan flavored fries.
Kids Kitchen Tools
Pictures of Parmesan French FriesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ingredients for Oven Baked Fries
- 4-6 medium sized potatoes that are peeled and cut into lengthwise strips
- About 2 Tbs. of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbs. of coarse salt
Directions for Homemade Fries
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. You want the oven to be very hot.
- Peel, wash, and slice the potatoes into long strips about 1/4 inch in width.
- Place the fries in a 9x13 inch glass pan or on a cookie sheet.
- Coat the fries with the oil followed by the cheese.
- Place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Place on paper towels to absorb any excess oil and sprinkle with coarse salt immediately. By doing this while they are still hot, the salt will 'stick' to the fries better.
- Let cool slightly and serve!
More Great Recipes for Cooking With Kids
Letting Kids Cook
I closely supervised my daughter at the stove while she was adding ingredients for our meal. It is important that you never leave your child unattended near hot surfaces or sharp objects. Although Grace is just five, I knew that I would be able to trust her to follow directions and be safe near the hot stove. You know your child! If you do not think that your child will be able to handle the safety precautions of being near a hot object, do not allow him or her to participate in that part of the cooking. I did remove the pan from the direct heat for her but the pan was still hot.
I knew that my son would not be quite ready for cooking at the stove. He was able to help coat the fries with the olive oil and Parmesan cheese. He had great fun with this part and was very ok with not "cooking" at the stove. He cheerfully declared that he'd never played with oil before!
Play to your child's stregths and interests. My daughter likes to be just like me and so she was more interested in actually cooking. My son loves to get messy so coating the potatoes was a perfect task for him! We hope that you enjoy this recipe and have as much fun cooking it as we did!