- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Corn chowder is a scumptious thick and hearty soup. It is cream based and can be served as a starter for a meal or as the meal itself. Pair this thick, rich chowder with corn bread muffins or serve it in an appetizing bread bowl. This is a versatile soup that is great cooked as described but can be made into alternately tantalizing meals by adding crab meat or diced ham pieces and a little cheddar cheese.
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut up
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups corn kernals, frozen
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 16oz can tiny whole potatoes, drained & diced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, course ground
- 2 tbsp flour, all-purpose
- Cook bacon in a large stock pot until crisp. Remove bacon pieces (set aside for later).
- Use the bacon grease to saute onions, celery, and peppers over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour. Cook this mixture over medium heat until bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and add half and half.
- Place 2 cups of corn in food processor or blender and puree. Add this to the half and half mixture.
- Heat the entire mixture until it boils. Stir constantly to prevent scorching. Once it comes to a boil, stir and boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in black pepper, potatoes, and remaining 2 cups of corn. Add the bacon. Heat until all is hot.
- Garnish with parsley or cheddar cheese shreds. Serve with cornbread, crackers, croutons, or in a bread bowl.