Cranberry and Nut Dark Chocolate Bar
Sweet and Salty
The Perfect Snack
If you're like me, you can always use a fresh idea for a healthy snack. Although this one contains chocolate, it's dark chocolate, which means it has multiple health benefits (these are explained at the end of this recipe). Almonds have also been tagged as one of the world's healthiest foods.
Since I pack my husband's lunch every day, I try to also put in a healthy snack for him to enjoy during one of his breaks. I am surprising him with one of these bars tomorrow. They are easy to make and let you enjoy some chocolate while knowing you are actually improving your health.
- 2-1/4 cups dark chocolate chips, (3-1/4 for thicker bars)
- 1/3 cup salted almond and cashews, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries, chopped
- Pour salted almonds and cashews into a blender to chop finely. When finished, remove and do the same for cranberries, leaving them in bigger pieces than the nuts. Combine nuts and cranberries and set aside.
- Warm chocolate in microwave-safe container for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Continue heating in 30 second intervals, as needed, stirring between each interval.
- Prepare a baking sheet by placing aluminum foil over it. Pour melted chocolate over surface, spreading evenly. Leave about 2/3 cup for the next chocolate layer. Sprinkle nuts and cranberries over chocolate and gently press down using a spoon. Pour rest of chocolate over the surface and even. You may use any remaining nuts and cranberries to lightly sprinkle the top.
- Place cooking sheet into the refrigerator. Once hardened, remove and either break into pieces with your hands or use a pizza cutter to evenly cut into bars. Store in an air tight container.
Dark Chocolate Nutrition Facts
|Serving size: 1 oz|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate and Almonds
It's important to note that these benefits are from eating small amounts 2-3 times a week. Since it is also high in fat, eating large quantities multiple times a week or every day greatly detracts from these health benefits. You can read about these benefits in detail here.
- Good for your heart
- Good for your brain
- Helps control blood sugar
- Full of antioxidants
- Contains theobromine
- High in vitamins and minerals
That's right! Almonds are known as one of the world's healthiest foods! Here are a few key health benefits. You can read in detail through this link.
- Reduce heart attack risk
- Lower "bad" cholesterol
- Protect artery walls from damage
- Help build strong bones and teeth
- Provide healthy fats and aid in weigh loss
- Lower the rise in blood sugar and insulin after meals
- Provide good brain function
- Nourish the nervous system
- Alkalize the body