- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Creamy Avocado Chicken Wrap - Quick and Easy Recipe using Leftover Chicken
Have you ever looked in your cupboard or the fridge and thought there is nothing to eat, even though it wasn't too long since you went grocery shopping and technically you are stocked up on food?
Have you ever gotten sick of the same old lunch menus and dinner menus over and over again?
Well then you are in luck. If you are looking for recipe ideas that will bring something new to the table, whether you are cooking from scratch or looking to use some leftovers, you have come to the right spot.
Creamy Avocado Chicken Wrap
GT Express - Get it!
The original is no longer available brand new. However, here is the updated edition of the GT Express. With the different pans that can be used the foods prepared are only limited by your imagination. Perfect for those who are cooking for one or two. Makes a perfect gift.
All Wrapped Up In A New Creation
I get bored with food selections easily, so as I was trying to figure out what to eat for lunch, I had a realization - nothing sounded appetizing. I was sick of the same old meals over and over again. I was sick of consuming the same old leftovers. I was sick of eating stuff just to eat.
Unfortunately, we all have to eat, so skipping this mundane task is not really an option. After all, food is what fuels us and if we want to keep going, we need to eat. So, i was on the search for more leftovers. Yuck!
Then I realized I had a whole bunch of avocados sitting out, only days away from going bad. I decided to mix them with some chicken. I always have cheese in the house - Hello - I am from Wisconsin! So that would add to it. And then I realized I had some leftover sour cream, which is rarely the case! If I mixed all that together and grabbed out my GT Xpress, and with that I knew I could come up with something good.
Now my GT Xpress comes from a Christmas gift several years ago. In fact, I got three of them that Christmas. I guess I was pretty insistent. I saw it on TV and I knew I had to have it. However, that particular model no longer exists. But an updated version does and even though mine had been collecting dust, I finally pulled it out again and I am so happy I did.
I have used my GT Xpress over and over again. Not only is it great for wraps but it is great for other stuff as well. However, for this meal, while I did use the GT Xpress, it can also be done without it.
So, go ahead and give this a try. You won't regret it. While I originally came up with this because I was sick of the same old sandwiches for lunch, I have also started making this as a quick and easy dinner. It is so easy to prepare, you will feel like you have a gourmet chef without all the work!
Get your stuff together
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 5 oz. Chicken breast, shredded or chunked
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1/2 medium avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup Mexican Cheese, Shredded, divided
- 2 TBSP Sour Cream, divided
The Inside Scoop
Let's Get Started
- Make sure you get all your ingredients together. I like to set them aside so they are easy access. This also helps me to see if I have anything missing.
- Get a rip avocado and cut it in half. A ripe avocado should have a little bit of give when you push on the skin, but shouldn't be mushy. If it is mushy, it is too ripe. If it is too hard, it isn't ready.
- Scoop out the pit in the middle of the avocado. Use a spoon or a special avocado tool to scoop out all the insides of the avocado out of the skin and place in bowl.
- Mash up the avocado using a fork or a potato masher.
- Get a piece of grilled chicken breast. If you have leftover chicken breast available, this is the perfect recipe to use it up. However, if you don't have any, feel free to grill it up beforehand. Just make sure to cool it down first so you don't burn yourself.
- Shred the chicken into smaller pieces and place in bowl of mashed up avocado.
- Mix chicken and avocado together.
- Lay out two flour tortillas.
- Divide the contents of the bowl and place on flour tortillas.
- Top off with shredded cheese and sour cream.
- Fold tortilla in a wrap by tucking in the sides and rolling.
- For this recipe I used a GT Express. I got this as a gift several years ago. However, the original is no longer available. The Express Redi Set Go is a great option for making wraps. It has several other functions as well and if you make a lot of wraps it is a wise investment.
- Spray GT Express with nonstick cooking spray and plug in to heat up. If you don't have a kitchen gadget like this, feel free to heat your wrap up on the stove.
- Close lid and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, checking toward the end to make sure you don't burn the tortilla.
- If cooking in a pan, heat both sides until the outside of the tortilla is brown. (This however might increase cooking time.) You may choose to also secure your wrap with a toothpick if using a pan so the insides don't fall out.
- Once the tortilla has been browned on the outside and is warm on the inside, you are ready to eat. Remove from the GT Express and place on a plate.
Get the Facts!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||171|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 19 g||29%|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Protein 20 g||40%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
It's a wrap!
The first time I tasted this I was beyond pleased. It seemed to melt in my mouth and instantly I was craving it again. Naturally, I bragged about this to my husband, and since we still had some leftover avocados, I decided to make it again, this time for dinner, and let him taste test it as well.
The second time I made this, we had to grill the chicken up beforehand since we didn't have any leftovers. That, of course, increased the prep time, but the outcome was just the same. My husband even seasoned the chicken with a little lime.
Now, this wrap is full of healthy, good for you food. So, while it might be a little high in calories for only one wrap, it is well worth it. In the past, avocados have received a bad wrap for being high in fat, however the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. Not only are avocados high in fiber, the monosaturated fats in avocados contain oleic acid, which has been found to improve fat levels in the body and help control diabetes, according to an article on the Nutritional Benefits of Avocados by Essortment. They are also helpful in lowering cholesterol level and preventing certain types of cancers and heart disease. As if this isn't enough of a benefit, this helpful food is also a great way to get more potassium in your diet!
If you prepare one wrap and add a salad to the side, you have a very fulfilling and healthy meal. I have made this several times now, and I have even purposefully bought the ingredients again so I can put it on the menu each week. I know with this mixture I am getting a satisfying meal with healthy ingredients. Although I will admit, there must be something addictive in it since I can't seem to get enough!
Looking to make a cake for a special somebody in your life. This Kit-Kat Cake Surprise certainly impress them. Whether you make it for a birthday or you make it just because, this cake is filled with all your favorite goodies!
Got a craving for Italian. Don't miss this hub featuring recipes for an Italian Sandwich as well as a doctored Pizza. Both recipes include a tasty way to include eggplant as part of your ingredients.
Looking for something quick and easy? Here is a technique to Cook Perfect Eggs in the Microwave.
If you are a fan of nachos, try this version of Irish Nachos. These are made with a base of potato chips instead. Bet you can't have just one!
Looking to spice up your life. Follow these Simple Recipes for Chutney to add a kick to your sandwiches or wraps!
More Tasty Recipes....
Looking for a light and tasty dessert, try this Mock Strawberry Banana Cream Pudding Pie. This pudding recipe is sure to please.
If you are looking for a hearty recipe for dinner, try this Meat Loaf. It is good any time of the week!
Bell Peppers are a flavorful way to add veggies into your diet. Make it a meal with Stuffed Bell Peppers.
Looking for something light. Here is the perfect recipe for the Perfect Hard Boiled Egg. This recipe is a no fail and will be perfect each time.
Looking for a healthy treat? Don't forget the Shrek Smoothie. With a name like this, you know it has to be fun!
Looking for quick and easy recipes? Dogs in a Sweater are sure thing to please kids, and the kids at heart.
About the Author
Barbergirl28 is a wife of 12 years and a stay-at-home mom of two beautiful girls and one handsome little boy. After high school, she joined the Army to become a photojournalist. To this day, she continues to have a passion for writing and photography. After leaving the military, she obtained a license in Cosmetology and also studied Massage Therapy. Her passions include writing, photography, cooking, crafts, health, and fitness. Currently, she is working on a book and freelancing at Hubpages.
If you would like to earn money by writing for Hubpages, click here to sign up.