- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
Creamy Roasted Poblano Strips (Rajas) and Sliced Beef Steak Tacos
This is one the classics of Mexican cooking – a dish so easy it’s awfully hard to mess it up and one that’s so good it makes everything you pair it with taste sublime.
Roasted poblano strips sautéed with a little onion and simmered briefly in a little heavy cream are heavenly, and you try these in a taco with some simply grilled beef steak you will be a convert for life!
Creamy Roasted Poblano Strips
- 4 poblano chilies
- 1 medium cooking onion, chopped
- A couple of Tbls of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of whipping (heavy) cream
- Salt to taste
- The first thing you need to do is to broil and then peel the skin off the poblano chilies. To do this, heat the broiler to high and place the chilies on a baking tray in the oven for a few minutes per side, or until the skin of the chilies is blackened and blistered all over (turning as needed).
- Transfer the chilies to a mixing bowl and cover the bowl tightly with cling film. You want to let the chilies cool off a bit and the steam that’s trapped as they cool will help to loosen the skin for easier peeling.
- Once the chilies have cooled for about 10 minutes, rub/peel the skin off the chilies. Do not be tempted to do this under running water, as though this will make the job easier and faster, you’ll lose much of the great flavor you’re after if you do so!
- Once the skin is gone, cut each poblano in half and remove the seeds and stem inside, and then cut each chili into quarter inch wide strips.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over medium and when preheated, add the oil and the chopped onion, and sauté until the onion is softened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the poblano strips and continue cooking for another couple of minutes, and then finish off by adding in the cream.
- Cook the cream until it is thickened to your liking (you don’t want this running out of tacos messily!) and then season with salt to taste.
These are great with any number of dishes – try them with simply grilled beef steak strips in a fresh corn tortilla – you’ll never regret it!
Poblano Strip and Beef Steak Tacos
- 1 lb of flank or skirt steak
- Poblano strips (above)
- 12 fresh warm corn tortillas
- Shaved onions and fresh cilantro
- Prepare the creamy poblano strips above
- Season skirt or flank steak with salt and pepper and then grill over very high heat on both sides to medium rare.
- Let the steak rest for about 5 minutes and then cut across the grain into ¼ inch strips
- Divide the meat up between 12 fresh warm corn tortillas and top with the creamy poblano rajas and some shaved onions and fresh cilantro
More Great Tacos
- Shrimp Taco Recipe. How to Make Mexican Shrimp Tacos...
Shrimp tacos can be made in about 10 minutes, only call for a handfull of ingredients and are a perfect easy meal for one. They are also one of the best Mexican meals you'll ever make for yourself!
- Beer Battered Baja Fish Tacos Recipe
An easy recipe for making beer battered Baja style fish tacos at home. Detailed instructions on frying fish and making great tasting tacos!
- How to Make Tacos al Pastor
Make Tacos al Pastor, a Mexican classic, at home. Grilled pork in a chili marinade, with grilled pineapple, onions, clinatro and lime - tasty!