Creamy Vegetable Curry Soup
Hearty Vegetarian Soup
This is a hearty soup that is similar to mulligatawny, and is vegetarian friendly. This soup makes a great meal during the cold winter months.
There are several healthy ingredients in this recipe, such as turmeric, cauliflower, carrots, celery, and onion. This soup is easily adaptable, so experiment with vegetables you already have on hand.
- 3 tablespoons canola, oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, julienned
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sauté for five minutes.
- Add curry powder, turmeric powder, salt, pepper, and flour. Stir.
- Add half the broth and stir well. Stir in remaining broth, brown rice, and cauliflower. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Maintain a low simmer for an hour, or until rice is done, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir in milk.
|Serving size: 8 oz|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 4 g|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- For a richer soup, try using butter in place of oil and cream in place of milk
- For a vegan version, omit the addition of milk or use a vegan friendly milk
- Try adding in other vegetables, such as diced potatoes (potatoes will make the soup thicker so you may wish to add a little water or increase the broth), bell peppers, or peas
- If the soup is thicker than you prefer, add water or additional broth. If you want a thicker soup, mix one tablespoon of flour with a tablespoon of water and stir into soup
- Transform this into a rice topper by reducing water by a cup or two and omitting the addition of rice
- Add diced apples for an extra level of flavor and texture
- Freezes well