Lemon Zucchini Cake
Photo of Lemon Zucchini Cake
At one time I used to scan magazines and newspapers for recipes, besides the ones from my family. I used to cut them out, type them up and categorize them, hoping some day to make my own cook book. But, now we have the internet and social media where we can have access to recipes galore; there went my dream. Which makes me very thankful that I found HubPages.
This recipe I found on Facebook by "Mom On Timeout". The picture looked so good I had to make it myself. Of course, I did make a two little changes, as is my thing to do. Sometimes you don't have the exact ingredients or you might not like a certain ingredient or have an allergy to one. So in any recipe you see, fill free to make changes to fit your needs, as long as it works with that recipe.
I hope you find this recipe as exciting and delicious looking as I did when I first saw it. Enjoy!
Photos of Making Lemon Zucchini Cake
Check Out The Asteraks, Substitutes, and Explanation of Amounts
*I know it sounds strange to put extra virgin olive oil in such a light cake recipe, but it
works. You don't taste the olive oil, but it adds something special to it.
**The original recipe called for1/3 cup of almond milk. I didn't have it and didn't
want to buy it for just 1/3 of a cup, so I substituted the 2% milk and the sour
but needed to keep the amount the same. Although, I did go over just a tiny bit
and it didn't hurt at all.
***I also used regular table salt instead of the Kosher salt the recipe called for. For
some reason I don't trust the coarseness of the Kosher salt to dissolve evenly
through out the batter. However, I do use it in savory recipes when called for.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil *
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/6 cup 2 % milk**, 1/6 cup sour cream**
- 2 tbspn. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt ***
- 1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini,, drained and squeezed dry
- 2 tsbsp. lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with baking pray and line with parchment paper, set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and olive oil. Whisk to combine. Add eggs and milk and sour cream and whisk together.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla and stir to combine. Add flour mixture and stir just till incorporated. Fold in zucchini and lemon zest.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into cake. Place the loaf on a cooling rack and cool 15 minutes. Use the parchment paper to carefully lift it from the pan. Let cool completely on rack.
- GLAZE: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Slice and serve.
© 2018 Rachel L Alba