- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Recipe - Curried Lentil and Apple Soup
This thick and hearty soup is a family favourite and sure to become a staple in your repertoire of soup starters. Curried lentil and apple soup is perfect for those cold nights throughout autumn and winter.
Unlike other dried legumes, lentils do not need to be pre-soaked. This means the soup can be prepared much more quickly than other bean soups.
This soup is smooth and can therefore can be frozen without adverse effects. However, you should try to allow the soup plenty of time to defrost rather than cooking it from frozen.
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, scraped and chopped
- 250g (8oz) cooking apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 350g (12oz) red lentils
- 2 litres (3 and a 1/2 pints) water OR stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Heat butter in large saucepan and fry the onion, carrot, apple and curry powder for about 10 minutes, without browning.
- Stir in lentils, bay leaves, and stock or water. Bring to boil then simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Liquidise the soup, then return to saucepan, add lemon juice and seasoning. Reheat before serving.