- Food and Cooking
Currywurst – A Quick and Tasty Meal with Health Benefits
An Idea from Germany
Here is a quick recipe for currywurst, a German dish consisting of a sausage sprinkled with curry powder.
I discovered this years ago when I was in Germany with the Air Force. It was quite tasty and easy to make.
I usually make this when I am in a hurry and have some hot dogs in the refrigerator. Sprinkling plain, generic brand franks (chicken, turkey, pork or whatever) with curry does wonders for the taste.
And, as indicated below, curry appears to be very good for maintaining one's mental health.
- 1 or more Hot Dogs or Bratwurst, These usually come 10 - 12 to a package but only use the number you need for the meal
- 1/2 Teaspoon per hot dog Curry Powder, You can use a little more or little less depending upon taste
- 1 or more Buns for hot dog or bratwurst, This is optional
- Slice each hot dog or bratwurst lengthwise but leave them attached so the hot dog opens as two joined halves
- Sprinkle curry powder - a half to one teaspoon per hot dog according to taste
- Set oven to broil and place pan with hot dogs in the oven for three to five minutes depending how well you want them cooked – I prefer then black.
- Remove from oven and serve on hot dog buns with ketchup or mustard
Rate This Recipe
Ready for the Oven
Curry Appears to Be as Good For One's Mental Health as it is for their Palate
According to an article in the August 4, 2006 issue of New Scientist (issue 2563, page 18), curry also appears to be very good for one's mental health.
The article states that curry is an antioxidant and it appears to help increase cognitive performance, especially in people over age 60.
Curryt also appears to inhibit the build-up of amyloid plaques in people with Alzheimer's disease.
However, the most amazing result of the study is the fact the positive cognitive results do not depend upon consuming large amounts of curry. Eating something seasoned with curry as infrequently as once every six months seems to be sufficient.
More studies are planned but, regardless of the health benefits, curry remains a tasty addition to many foods.
© 2006 Chuck Nugent