Dal (Parippu) Curry
How to Prepare Simple Dal (Parippu) Curry
Dal is very easy to make and it is one of the first recipes that mothers in India teach their daughters. You can have this curry with rice or chappatis.
In Kerala, Dal curry is known as Parippu curry and it is a favorite among those people who enjoy simple food.
1 cup Dal
Chopped onions, red chilies
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Wash Dal in water.
2. Cover Dal in water and put it to rest for 10-15 minutes. This helps in cooking the Dal more quickly and easily.
3. Put 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste, and 1/2 tsp oil into a pressure cooker. Put the Dal and water into this cooker.
4. Cover with lid and wait for steam to come.
5. Once steam comes, put the cap on and reduce the flame.
6. Let it sit for 4-5 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, take oil in another vessel.
8. Put 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and when it pops, quickly add onions and red chilies.
9. Fry till they are cooked and then put this mixture into your curry.
10. Parippu curry is ready.